New Firefox plugin decodes malicious Web sites

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Mumbodog

http://www.infoworld.com/d/security-central/firefox-plugin-decodes-malicious-web-sites-815

A computer security researcher has released a plugin for Firefox that provides a wealth of data on Web sites that may have been compromised with malicious code.

The plugin, called Fireshark, was released on Wednesday at the Black Hat conference. The open-source free tool is designed to address the shortcomings in other programs used to analyze malicious Web sites, said Stephan Chenette, a principal security researcher at Websense, which lets Chenette develop Fireshark in the course of his job.

Hi Mumbodog,

I use Linux Ubuntu 9.10 w/Firefox 3.5.9 and the website does not appear to allow a download, i.e. the website may only work w/Windows Firefox. The plugin does not appear to be available at the standard Firefox plugin website. It might not follow the standard Firefox plugin release procedures.

-- Tom

tomdkat

Retired Trusted Advisor
Hi Mumbodog,

I use Linux Ubuntu 9.10 w/Firefox 3.5.9 and the website does not appear to allow a download, i.e. the website may only work w/Windows Firefox. The plugin does not appear to be available at the standard Firefox plugin website. It might not follow the standard Firefox plugin release procedures.
You need to click "Download" and scroll to the bottom of the page to see the download link. The download is a "XPI" file. I haven't installed it but it is an interesting extension.

Peace...

You need to click "Download" and scroll to the bottom of the page to see the download link. The download is a "XPI" file. I haven't installed it but it is an interesting extension.

Peace...
Hi tomdkat,

Thanks!

-- Tom

Let us know how it works out for you. :)

Peace...
Hi Tom,

I only downloaded it, and will have a look at it later, then decide whether to use it or not - depending on whether I think I need it or not.

Have you used it yet?

-- Tom

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online