1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

new firewall ?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by steamwiz, Sep 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. steamwiz

steamwiz Thread Starter

Hi

Anyone have any experience or comments about this new firewall

http://www.agnitum.com/

steam

P.S. I know it's not that new - and I know there's even an add on tsg for it. But has anyone any first hand experience of it

2. mobo

mobo

According to this it should be pretty good...

3. Topkat

Topkat

Of course they're going to be singing it's praises. It is their site after all. If you can find an independent source that can verify this I'd be sold, but for now I'll be sticking with my trusty Sygate Pro. ;)

4. Alaska

Alaska

For what it is worth Outpost is my firewall of choice. I'm a long time user of Outpost Pro Version 1. A lot of people (I state this based on what I have read on the Outpost discussion group) have had some problems with Version 1 because of different network configurations, etc. I do not have a complex network, in fact my network consist of one computer connected to the internet, so I never experienced some of the problems I read about.

Then came version 2. Version 2 was long anticipated by users of Outpost because it was a long time coming. Due to the long wait for Version 2 Agnitum - the developer of Outpost - allowed Version 1 Pro users to have the new release of Version 2 at no charge (Agnitum wasn't required to do that).

I have Windows Me and for some reason Outpost Version 2 does not get along with my operating system. I have read on the Outpost discussion group that some other users of Windows Me have had problems as well. I do not know if these problems will be fixed but I have gone back to Outpost Version 1 and it was not a hard decision for me because I have confidence in that version of Outpost.

The one change between Version 1 and 2 of Outpost that I do not like, other than the operating system conflict, is that in Version 1 the "Blocked" and "Allowed" log was integrated within the the firewalls primary window whereas in Version 2 if the user clicks to see the "Blocked" or "Allowed" log a separate window opens up. I'm a heavy log reader so that additional step in clicking is really a pain.

I have copies of various builds of version 2 archived on my computer so that if I ever do go to Windows 2000 I can use the firewall with that OS already knowing that the registration key I have will work for those version 2 builds.

When I was looking for a firewall and ran across Outpost I was happy and I knew that my firewall search was over. Having said that I really cannot recommend Outpost because whether or not it will work with a users set up is really a hit or miss proposition. As I have already stated Version 2 has been a dud for me but I had no doubts about returning to Version 1.

The people on the Outpost discussion group are capable individuals and they do not hesitate to give beneficial advice to people seeking answers to problems. Even if that advice consist of "Do a search...".

Here is a web site that has a guide to Outpost. I do not know if it has been updated to reflect Version 2 but any information on the web site is relevant to both versions of Outpost:

http://www.outpostfirewall.com/guide/

I'm on a broadband connection and I recently purchased a router to cut out some of that ICMP traffic that Outpost was having to block. If a person is on a broadband connection I think the combination of a software firewall (which ever it might be) and a router with a built in firewall is a hard combination to beat.

steamwiz:

The danger in asking someone a question is you may get more of an answer than you wanted.
    ;)

5. steamwiz

steamwiz Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies - especially the "essay" by Alaska

I have Zonealarm free at the moment - the only one I have ever had actually

On motherboard's link ZA free scores 14 - Outpost free scores 26

I am running win98 on dial-up on a rather slow(old) computer which takes 3 minutes to boot and then another minute for ZA to finish loading - Don't laugh, a 300MHz in the days of 3 gig - I'm not complaining about the boot time, but if I could knock off that extra minute ZA takes

I'll check out that link of yours Alaska, and then make a decision.

Thanks

steam

6. mobo

mobo

Kerio may be the lightest on resources that you'll find steam.

7. steamwiz

steamwiz Thread Starter

Thanks motherboard I'll check that out as well :)

steam

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168628

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice