1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New firmware for WRT54G?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jethsy, Jan 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jethsy

jethsy Thread Starter

Should I get new firmware for my router? v1.02.5 build 002
    Thanks!

2. Sponsor

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

The DD-WRT firmware is great. It adds a lot of features and I would never go back to the manufacturer's.

4. jethsy

jethsy Thread Starter

Will changing to that mean I will have to change other settings? I don't want to have my network go out.

5. dohnutman

dohnutman

You'll have to be more specific.

Basically the dd-wrt firmware will replace the manufacturers interface and options. It's like replacing the engine of a moped with that of a porche.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

When you update firmware, you will need to check all your settings, anyway. Some may not be retained after the update.

Updating firmware on a router is nowhere near as dangerous as it is on a computer. For one thing, even a total failure won't cost too much to remedy and there are some recovery options. But that doesn't necessarily mean that people should update willy-nilly if there are no current problems and the update does not address any of the problems that you perceive to have. Read the release notes. If there is nothing significant in changes that affects you, leave well enough alone.

7. jethsy

jethsy Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the replies. I especially appreciate yours, Elvandil, since you are explaining a prudent and conservative approach.

8. jethsy

jethsy Thread Starter

BTW, I have found the website for downloading the DD-WRT firmware, but where exactly are the "release notes?"

9. jakeferren

jakeferren

I am just using firmware 1.00.2 on the router which I believe is super old already. Just tried upgrading the firmware last night with one of Linksys' reps and I believe everything's working perfect right now.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1036255