New folders don't appear in shared files/folders

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ElCani

Hi

I've got an annoying problem with my small office network. There are 3 PCs on the local network and we share files. Usually (but not always) if you are in one of the shared folders and you want to create a new folder, once you've right-clicked and created the new folder, you need to navigate away and back again in order to actually see it. This also happens when re-naming the folder.

To be clear this is what happens:

Right click, select 'create new folder'

Nothing appears

Use back and forward buttons

New Folder now visible

Rename folder, but it reverts to being called New Folder

Use back and forward buttons

Folder now appears with the new name.

Two PCs are using XP and one Vista, it happens ot all of them. Only happens with shared folders.

Any ideas how to fix this?

Many thanks

ElCani

TerryNet

Terry
How long does it take for the change to appear on the screen if you don't fidget with the back and forward buttons?

ElCani

Hi - thanks for the response.

I just tried it, waited a couple of minutes and nothing appeared.

Any advice appreciated.

TerryNet

Terry
Thanks for testing for me. Sometimes an update seems to take a few seconds longer than it should, and I just wanted to make sure you weren't too impatient. You're not too impatient!

Hope one of those JohnWill links works for you; I haven't come across this before and have no other ideas. Except one tiny one. I doubt this will lead anywhere, but check to see if the Computer Browser service is running on both computers:

Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Services

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online