1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

new for old

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by harrylyme, Jan 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. harrylyme

harrylyme Thread Starter

after installing windows 7,there is a entry called windows old,this takes up allmost 8gig,is it to be retained or best to get rid and install afresh what you require

2. harrylyme

harrylyme Thread Starter

update for 8 gig read neary 18gig

3. huggie54

huggie54

Hiya what os was on before windows 7

4. w7pro

w7pro

The windows old folder are the files from the previous OS that have migrated over to Windows 7. You can delete it to make room, but you should backup the files first. Then use Disk Cleanup.
    1. Open Disk Cleanup by clicking the Start button. In the search box, type Disk Cleanup, and then, in the list of results, click Disk Cleanup.
      If you're prompted to choose a drive, click the drive you just installed Windows on, and then click OK.
    2. In the Disk Cleanup dialog box, on the Disk Cleanup tab, click Clean up system files.
      If you're again prompted to choose a drive, click the drive you just installed Windows on, and then click OK.
    3. Select the Previous Windows installation(s) check box, and any other check boxes for the files you want to delete, and then click OK.
    4. In the message that appears, click Delete Files.
      -- Ryan
      Windows Outreach Team

5. harrylyme

harrylyme Thread Starter

thank you for your replys,i have moved from xp pro to 7 pro, is it me or does it take a bit of getting used to,
    i am useing windows livemail now that outlook is difunct would you say that this is the best option i am sure i will be back before i get up to speed with this new system,ps were would we be without this super forum(not a grovel just a statment of fact)cheers

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/974704

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice