New FTC spam forwarding

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

BearMom

Hi all, and Happy New Year. We have been bombarded with bogus emails, vialis, oem software, obscene stuff, Rolex watches, etc. I complained to our ISP and a support person emailed me back with this forwarding address: [email protected]
I've been forwarding faithfully and it seems to be tapering off. The more I forward, the fewer that arrive. (Hope I'm not speaking too soon) Could that forwarding address be working that quickly? I researched it and all forwarded spam goes into a database so that the FTC can evoke law enforcement (Google web: [email protected])

Has anyone else used this???

As spammers use each sending location once only, I think what you are seeing is a temporary lull more than a law enforcement action. They receive over 300,000 samples a day afterall ....

I notice that spam appears to come in "waves" a month or two apart with some lull in the interim.

But do not let that deter you from reporting it!

Hi BearMom,

I have several "on-line" e-mail accounts and have been using the above e-mail address all the time. I tell people in TGF & other forums to include the "headers" of the "spam" you received. And yes...they do receive over 300,000 samples a day .......but that's where some of our tax-dollars are for.

I cant see how they will stop them. :( I check them out and they always have different domains and IPs). I really hope they find something. How do our email accounts enter their database anyways? Are there any patterns found? I am really sick of the emails..tons. I use Comcast, and now how many times I create new email accounts, I get this crap. It must somehow be connected to the ISP.

renegade X,

I used the web base email for almost all email.
Myway gets spam but most are for sex and drug. Most are 1 or 2 KB. Some up to 4KB.
They alway come from a new address so blocking a address is not going to help much.

Got Gmail and have onlt gotten spam a couple of times. But I used this account mostly for getting email from web sites on when someone replyed to a post etc.

Then there is hotmail the king of spam. You can get the same spam over and over and most have attachements and thy get bigger and bigger in KB.
But I have it so all spam get deleted so I never see it but there is tons of it.

When I got comcast I picked a user name that is not used any where else. It has letter and numbers so it is not a name they a spammer can just pick and spam all ISP's and able to come up with my name.

I also when I setup the account with comcast said NO to news letters etc from comcast. Yes they say you can stop it and that they will stop. But your also find out that they give out your address to 3rd partys and not all email may stop so you have to ask to be taken off there mailing list. Yea right once they get your address you never know how many 3rd partys will get your address.
I also set it up so any spam in the bulk folder gets deleted.
I think the 1st or 2nd week I got a email from comcast and I reported it to them as spam and said I was new and how I set up my account and how I did not like them spamming me. I said no one knows this address because it is new and this is spam.
Well It will be 3 years and I have not been spammed. If there is spam that goes to the bulk folder and gets deleted or not I don't know or care. I get the email I want and not spam has ever gotten to the inbox. I have only gotten other comcast emails that they send to everyone not matter what your setting are and that is that your upgrade is in effect and things like that. But everyone gets those email.

Also with web bugs and you senting off the spam to the FTC would it not tell the spammer your address is good?:eek:

I go from one end of the web to the other. For several years now, my spam is fairly constant on my 2 main accounts. Maybe 12 per day, total for both accounts.

I have a 3rd Yahoo! web account and use the Yahoo! spam controls. The bulk folder ends up with about 300 per month - again approx 10 per day.

Either I am doing things right - or everyone that gets a ton of spam is doing them wrong.

Protect your email address as if it was your Driver's license or social security number. Don't click on "free" offers. Don't click on any sites that offer to send the page you are viewing to someone and need your email address. Don't click on "contests" with free prizes. Use disposable email addresses when getting information.

sekirt

I agree, its often the email address owners past indiscressions if plagues of spam are received.

I only give out my "real" email address on a need to know basis, and use a free Gmail address for anything else.

I get about 1 spam per month on my real address (which is part of my company domain name) and about 20 per day on the disposable address, so it's easy to see where the source is.

Its the software registration (for free software registration) and similar plus posting it on a forum that collects the spam.

kiwiguy,

When I was new to the PC and online I got the user name hewee but I used that same user name for web sites like here, email etc so it was easy to pick up the user name. Plus lots of the forums back then would show your IP address where they hide that now.

Then if I have to do a software registration or sign up some place and it will not let me use hotmail, gmail I try myway and it that will not work then I will find another new web base account to use that they are not blocking. I know they do that because they want you to use your ISP address and I will not give that out.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online