1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New Gaming laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Galenrandir, Oct 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Galenrandir

Galenrandir Thread Starter

I mostly play WoW and D3. I was looking to get a new razer blade but I am not sure if that will be able to play other games on a high setting? I know I could get a different laptop with better specs, but I like the slim feature of the blade.

any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Ryan

2. Amd_Man

Amd_Man

Even though Laptop manufacture label them as gaming laptops, laptops are not really designed for gaming. Heat that is produced from the demands of gaming are the major issue. Heat is the number one killer of electronics (hardware). The slim design of the razor further adds to the heat issue as there's not much room to circulate air. On gaming tests with the new razor they have seen temps climb as high as 126f and the fan noise produced to expel that heat will annoy anyone. Desktops are the only way to go if gaming is what you desire its use for.

3. Galenrandir

I was going to go with a desktop, but my wife has requested I get a laptop so I dont have to be "hiding in a corner" while playing my games. With a laptop i can lay in bed with her or sit on the couch with her and still play...a win win for me! haha

4. Amd_Man

Amd_Man

I understand that fully. If you're going to get one I would advise to only game on a hard surface and get a cooling pad. MSI has some good gaming laptops that have better cooling than the one you like. I can't vouch for their longevity as I've never used one. You're best to find a model you like and read reviews.

5. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    If you must game on a laptop, I would opt for an Alienware laptop. You pay more for them, but they are built as gaming laptops.

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Ray brought out a good point.

Sitting that laptop on your lap or on the bed is almost sure to cause overheating issues because the exhaust vents get blocked.

A hard flat cooling pad surface is the way to go.

------------------------------------------------------------

7. Galenrandir

I will most certainly buy a hard cooling surface for whatever laptop i choose to get. I heard all good things about the Razer when i watched some youtube reviews. Has anyone heard of digital storm? I was considering building a laptop with them instead perhaps? Also any recommendations on what I should be looking for? Im looking to spend around 2000-2500 for something that will last at least a couple years,

Thanks again for all the help,
    Ryan

8. Amd_Man

Amd_Man

9. Galenrandir

10. Amd_Man

Amd_Man

On paper it looks great. I have not used one so I have no idea how it is in the real world. Try and google some reviews on it.

11. Galenrandir

yeah, a buddy of mine recommended them to me but I have never heard of them. I'll try googling it. Thanks!

12. Galenrandir

So after doing some research I have read mixed reviews and am now unsure. Does anyone have any experience with them personally?

Thanks!

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1135685

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice