Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

New gaming PC randomly restarting while playing games

938 views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  crjdriver 
#1 ·
My new PC randomly freezes for couple of seconds and then restarts while Im playing games. When Im playing Metro Exodus it happens after just few minutes (on medium settings it sometimes crashes after about an hour and sometimes it runs fine for couple of hours), while in Trackmania it took maybe 30. Weird thing is that it doesnt happen while playing Horizon zero dawn which is pretty hardware demanding game.

I found that Im getting Error: A problem with your hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly. Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent Code: 141

Things I tried: I turned off Automatic restart in system settings set Minimum processor state to 5% in Power options Ran memory check with mdsched.exe

Diagnostics I tried: I tried stress testing PC twice with Prime95 for CPU, Furmark for GPU and HWiNFO for logging. As expected, computer crashed after approximately 8 minutes of stress testing.

My stress test results:
Run #1: https://www.mediafire.com/file/xajopf11c9fdj56/results.CSV/file
Run #2: https://www.mediafire.com/file/s5hfaclaoj99aqq/2results.CSV/file

I tried to read them myself with "Generic log viewer" app but I dont understand it enough to know what am I looking for. I've seen there that Im getting high temperatures on CPU (75-80 C). I suspect that its crashing because of high temperatures but I dont understand why isnt PC just throttling when reaching high temp? Is it normal for PC to just crash instead of throttling? Is there anything I can do or was I scammed and should return the PC? Thanks in advance for any help. Its my first PC so I dont know much about this stuff. Especially about stuff like BIOS tweaking and changing RAM frequncies and so on.

When my laptop isnt good enough for the game it just lowers FPS but never crashes, why doesnt it happen with PC? Thank you.

My specs:

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit, Build 19043, Installed 20210913214416.000000+120
Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor, AMD64 Family 23 Model 113 Stepping 0, CPU Count: 12
Total Physical RAM: 32 GB
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT
Hard Drives: C: 118 GB (58 GB Free); D: 118 GB (113 GB Free); E: 357 GB (98 GB Free);
Motherboard: ASRock B550M Pro4
System: American Megatrends Inc., ver ALASKA - 1072009, s/n To Be Filled By O.E.M.
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

I am quite a newbie in PC troubleshooting so any help is highly appriciated. Thanks.

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi and welcome to TSG.

Can you give us some more detailed information about your system?

What is the make and speed of the RAM?
What is the exact make, model and wattage of the power supply?

Ensure all your drivers are up to date. Do not use third party apps to update them for you, go to the manufacturers website and get them directly.

If you have HWInfo64 then run the app and use the Sensors Only option. When it comes up look through the information and screenshot the Motherboard information, then post the screenshot here. This ideally needs to be a decent quality screenshot so we can read the detail.

#3 ·
You have an asrock board. Go to the support site and download/install the asrock motherboard utility;
ASRock > B550M Pro4
Once you get that installed, post the following info; cpu temp, 12V, 5V, and 3.3V values. Do this twice. Once under a normal load and again while running a stress test like prime95. Let the stress test run for at least two min to stabilize temps and voltages. Post screenshots of the asrock utility showing both conditions.

#4 ·
You have an asrock board. Go to the support site and download/install the asrock motherboard utility;
ASRock > B550M Pro4
Once you get that installed, post the following info; cpu temp, 12V, 5V, and 3.3V values. Do this twice. Once under a normal load and again while running a stress test like prime95. Let the stress test run for at least two min to stabilize temps and voltages. Post screenshots of the asrock utility showing both conditions.
Agreed, use the ASRock util rather than HWInfo, I should have picked up on that myself :)(y)

#5 ·
Hey, thank you all for reply and sorry for my delayed response.

Additional info about specs:
RAM:
2x Crucial Ballistix RGB 16GB DDR4-3600 (so 32GB in total set in slots 2 and 4)
specs about RAM as found on Crucials website: DDR4 PC4-28800 • 16-18-18 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR4-3600 • 1.35V • 2048Meg x 64 (source: https://www.crucial.com/memory/ddr4/bl16g36c16u4bl)

Power supply:
Seasonic model: SS-660XP Active PFC F3 (Platinum 660)
1632415164676.png

Normal load:
Rectangle Font Screenshot Software Electronic device

Stress test results after 8 minutes:

Font Rectangle Software Screenshot Gadget

Notes:
I have stock CPU cooler AMD Wraith prism which is supposed to be pretty decent.
My BIOS version is 1.42 which, according to ASRock site came out 6th of november 2020 and newest one is version 2.10 from last month. I was wondering if updating BIOS might help, but I was scared to do so because they have pretty big warning and advice not to do so on ASRock website.

Thank you and I will definitely try to respond much sooner this time.

#6 ·
I checked the support page for your board and the bios updates do not specifically address restarts. If you are not comfortable updating the bios, then leave it alone. Your temps are within limits; the max temp for that processor is 95C. Note there are other items that can get hot in a system such as VRs [voltage regulators] chipsets, etc. Since you do not have any case fans [at least that is what your screenshot shows] I would think about getting at least one case fan set as an exhaust; preferably two case fans one set as an intake and the other as exhaust.

A simple test to see if you have an airflow problem would be to pull the side cover OFF. Place a small desk type fan blowing air into the case. Now run whatever it is that causes problems. If it runs fine, then you need to increase case airflow. If it does the same thing, installing case fans would not help.

#7 ·
I dont know why it says that there are no case fans when there are 3 at the front and one at the back and they are constantly running (hope you can see them in my s*itty photos). I will however try your advice and stress test PC with open case and blowing fan to see if it really might be the problem. Thank you.

If I may ask, is it normal for PC to shut down when it overheats and not throttle? Thank you.

Automotive lighting Data storage device Gas Audio equipment Space
Grey Audio equipment Font Gas Tints and shades

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.