1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New Gigabyte P35 Model Motherboard wont start?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by janelg, Jul 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. janelg

janelg Thread Starter

I hav a new Gigabyte motherboard which is a GA-P35-DS3L model. Problems that occur is that wen i start the CPU turns about a quart way then stops, also the PSU wont start or the GFX fan. If i remove the 12V ATX cable then the fans will start but nothing happens basicly i want to no if weda me motherboard is dead or if i can fix it as it may be related caus wid any1 els?

need help urgently plz!

2. win2kpro

win2kpro

What processor are you using? Are you using the standard Intel cooler?

3. janelg

janelg Thread Starter

i hav a Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Dual Core Processor - 2.4GHz an yes it is the stok cooler?

4. brite750

brite750

best thing to do is to go through the trouble shooting steps listing at the beginning of the HW forum. This would involve building the major components out of the case, if your psu wont even turn I would look into that first, ie trying another known working one

5. janelg

janelg Thread Starter

kool thanx but ive tried that and ive tested it wid a psu that does work and also the gfx card is working properly but the cpu, i only get a quart way revolution in the fan... everything worxs full on wen ATX 12V lead cable is disconnected, wen reconnected it doesnt work at all.

6. win2kpro

win2kpro

If the processor fans turns 1/4 turn and stops the power supply is working.

Try this:

Disconnect the machine from the power source, and press the Power On button for about 10 seconds to drain any residual charge from the capacitors.

Without removing the cooler take a flat blade screwdriver and turn the locking pins counterclockwise to the unlock position. With all the locking pins loose, without lifting up on the cooler assembly "gently" turn the cooler assembly left and right a couple of times (Just a couple of degrees each way). Turn the locking pin assemblies until the notch on the locking pins are perpendicular to the heatsink. Re-align the locking pins with the holes in the motherboard. Push down HARD on 2 pins at a time diagonal from each other, until all 4 pins are fully down and locked. Instead of pushing 2 pins at a time, you can also push down on the cooler and, push down HARD on each pin individually. Either method works equally well, however many people find that pushing downward on the cooler with one hand, and pushing each pin individually with the other hand is easier. After all 4 pins are down and locked push down HARD on each pin individually again. It is very important that the notches on the locking pins are perpendicular to the heatsink or the heatsink will not lock down.

After the processor cooler is fully down and locked, re-connect the power source, power on the machine and see if it will POST.

7. janelg

janelg Thread Starter

ohk will try - would ther b any oda solutions if dis 1 dnt work?

8. win2kpro

win2kpro

Try that first. The heatsink has to be in contact with the processor heatspreader with at least 17 (f/lb) of pressure or the machine will not POST or boot.

9. Compiler

Compiler

Win2Kpro - is this an issue with Intel Coolers or with this socket designed period? My aftermarket coolers seem to CLICK in without a problem, I never tried with the standard Intel cooler.

10. win2kpro

win2kpro

I believe if you will try it with an Intel cooler you will find that it will work the same as a 3rd party cooler with the push pins. The big problem is people are use to ZIF sockets and just don't put enough pressure on the pins to get them to lock down fully.

The reason you see this more with Intel coolers is the fact that the boxed processor comes with that cooler so more people initially use it. I've built a lot of socket 775 machines, and after the first time, I've had absolutely no problem with getting the cooler to lock down.

I like the design. I've only had to do two in field replacements and I can do a complete replacement including cleaning the processor heatspreader and installing a new cooler in about 20 minutes.

11. janelg

janelg Thread Starter

i tried it but i need a new tube of heatsink and ill get sum 2moz until then is ther anytin els dat mite b a problem- oh would this mean that my mobo is dead or fried?

12. win2kpro

win2kpro

In my opinion, at this point I would see no reason to suspect the board is defective. The symptoms you describe generally indicate that the cooler is not fastened down properly.

If you followed my instructions you would not need to buy any compound, since I tell you NOT TO LIFT UP ON THE COOLER.

13. janelg

janelg Thread Starter

I had already prior to this original posting had the fan off the cpu so i needed to replace the heatsink without knowing there was nun left...
    tho i appreciate ur help and thnak u. and jus wonderin is it true that u can use toothpaste as heatsink?

14. win2kpro

win2kpro

NO, you cannot use toothpaste as thermal compound.

15. janelg

janelg Thread Starter

OK will try 2morrow. If nothing works, I'll post again at night.
    Thanks for the help.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/726205

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice