Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

New gpu, no pci cable

586 views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  crjdriver 
#1 ·
Hi, i recently bought a new gpu for my desktop, so i wanted to install it straight away but then it said connect the right pci cable in order for this graphics card to work, so i ordered a cable which i thought would fit, it only fits on my gpu, other side doesnt fit my psu. The gpu is a gigabyte gtx1660 gaming oc with an 8 pin female connector. The psu is a corsair cx500m. I searched google for a bit on what cable to use, my psu needs a male 6 or 8 pin, mY gpu needs an 8 pin male connector. I am lost and don’t know where i can find a cable that i can use in order to make it work. Can somebody tell me where i can find such cables?
Thanks in advance

#2 · (Edited)
The specs I found for your pw supply show two 6+2 pci-e connectors. You should not need anything to connect ie you use the 6+2 connector.
Since this is a modular pw supply, IF you do not have the connectors, then the only place to purchase them is corsair.

FWIW, I would never use a cx pw supply with a gaming type card. The cx series from corsair is for a basic build; even corsair states that.
See this quote from the corsair site
CX Series Modular power supply units are an excellent choice for basic system builds

#3 ·
The specs I found for your pw supply show two 6+2 pci-e connectors. You should not need anything to connect ie you use the 6+2 connector.
Since this is a modular pw supply, IF you do not have the connectors, then the only place to purchase them is corsair.

FWIW, I would never use a cx pw supply with a gaming type card. The cx series from corsair is for a basic build; even corsair states that.
See this quote from the corsair site
Got the pc like it was, just thought i'd upgrade it. I'm not really into building it but though ez upgrade. I've seen 6+2 connectors on the i ternet but have the wrong patterns, i've now bought an 8pin connector that fits that leads into 2 motix connectors. Hopefully that will do the trick?
otherwise gotta order from corsairs site you say. Will take a look if this won't work

#4 ·
There are adapters to connect a molex or sata pw connector to a video card. Years ago, video cards actually came with these adapters.
As to whether or not it will work, that depends on how much the pw supply is stressed ie you are running a LOT of fans, lights, real sound card, etc, etc, then you may have a problem. If you are running a single hard drive and only one or two fans, then there is a good chance it will work.
As I said before, a cx pw supply is designed for a basic build.

#5 ·
There are adapters to connect a molex or sata pw connector to a video card. Years ago, video cards actually came with these adapters.
As to whether or not it will work, that depends on how much the pw supply is stressed ie you are running a LOT of fans, lights, real sound card, etc, etc, then you may have a problem. If you are running a single hard drive and only one or two fans, then there is a good chance it will work.
As I said before, a cx pw supply is designed for a basic build.
Okay, im running 2 ssd 1 hdd with 2/3 fans, think a 500 watt psu will do the trick?

#6 ·
As long as it is a good quality unit ie seasonic, corsair [AX, HX, or RM models ONLY] or other high end pw supply.
One of the biggest mistakes people make is spending a LOT of money on a video card and then going cheap on a pw supply. IMO it is the same thing as purchasing a Z06 corvette and putting in reclaimed oil; just not a smart thing to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.