1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New gpu not booting windows

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jald2549, Jan 9, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jald2549

Jald2549 Thread Starter

So i bought a 1080ti. I installed it and it boots only windows recovery mode. It booted twice into windows. Everything looked fine and then it crashed. I have restarted the cmos, both bios, changed the power supply, tried it in another computer, which always booted into windows but was crashing afterwards i think that it was due to not enough wattage. Only thing that i got left is to open it up and check all the cooling system.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, you are posting in a hardware forum and no [other than you] has any idea what hardware you are running. Post All of your exact specs. Do not post 500W pw supply; post the exact brand and model# Do that for ALL of your parts.

3. Jald2549

Jald2549 Thread Starter

Ryzen 7 2700x
    Gigabyte 1080ti
    Strix B450F
    Corsair CX750M
    16 GB RAM Forgot the brand 3000mhz but have it underclocked due to mb limitation.

4. Oddba11

Oddba11 It's My Birthday!

First Name:
    Jim
    First thought is video drivers, although those usually don't cause crashing. And crashing in two different computers would hint at a faulty card.

Will it stay in the BIOS for extended periods? Will it boot into Safe Mode?

5. Jald2549

Jald2549 Thread Starter

That's what happens

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

One thing I see is a cx pw supply. The cx series from corsair is for a basic build ie onchip video, running office, etc; NOT running a gaming card. The only corsair units up to running a gaming type video card are the AX, HX, or RM models. The cx pw supplies are fine for what they were designed to do. I even have one installed in my home theater system however I would never think of gaming with that system.
    Next unless you followed the procedure outlined below, it is possible to damage the video card and or motherboard;

How to properly install a new video card;
    1 Old card still installed, go to the relevant support page ie nvidia or amd. Download the latest driver for your card. Do not use the driver on any support disk; it is almost always out of date
    2 Old card still installed, uninstall ALL software based on the old card ie driver, any monitoring software, any suite, etc. Do not reboot when prompted; just tell it later
    3 Shutdown and pull the pw plug from the back of the pw supply. Now press the ON button 2~3 times. This removes any residual charge from the pw supply capacitors
    4 Open the side panel and pull out the old card. Install the new card and make any necessary pw connections. Note there is a latch that must be depressed so that you can pull the old card. Do not just yank it out without depressing the release or latch
    5 Replace the side cover and pw cord. Now pw ON and install the driver you downloaded in step #1. Now reboot when prompted
    Done.

7. Jald2549

Jald2549 Thread Starter

I could go get another power supply. But at the end i think that that one would be at least enough to power up windows lol. I aint gaming yet. I have build over 20 pc's and i have never seen that problem. And i didnt uninstalled drivers since the card was nvidia algo.

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, if you have built over 20 systems, then you really should know how to install a video card. Just because it is the same card chipset ie nvidia, you still need to follow the procedure. Reason being when you install a nvidia driver, that driver supports a LOT of cards. From the 6xx series up to the 20xx series, the titan cards, etc, etc. They do not use the same files [that is why the nvidia driver file is so large now over 500meg] so that when you install say a 750ti, the files used are different than for something like a 2060.

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If you want to find out if this is a bad card OR a driver/windows problem, boot the system with a linux live usb. If it runs fine in linux, you know the card is ok and you have a driver problem. If it reboots or whatever in linux, then you know the card is defective.
    This will tell you in less than 15min where the problem lies.

10. Jald2549

Jald2549 Thread Starter

I already did it without any drivers installed, and with the 1080ti drivers installed. I think that it's a memory problem. Or temperature. But i have a broken screw on the back that i have to weld into a screwdriver to take it out... i already tried drilling it and it didnt even turned

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Honestly PCs are not something you breakout the cutting torch or arc welder to fix. A 1080ti is a pretty expensive card and really I would take this to a real shop to have fixed. Up to you however with your stated approach to fixing the problem, I think you are going to cause more damage. Again up to you.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1238420

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice