New GPU - PC doesn't boot

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Jakub503

Hi I upgraded build with a new gpu and problems occured, but first some pc details
i5 2400
16Gb ram
Gigabyte h61m-s2pv
500W psu
1Tb hdd
Windows 7
So I switched from gt640 to GTX960 and it did not booted. Frozen on Gigabyte screen for a few minutes then black screen. I deinstalled the gpu, switched to VGA and turned pc, it worked.
What I did at first was to just deinstall the old drivers (didnt help) then updated the Bios to newest version and ding! It booted properly. Installed drivers etc, played a few games, rebooted pc to install smth, worked great, go to sleep. The next day the pc didnt booted. Switched to VGA, updated bios (from new version to new version) put back gpu, worked great. Rebooted a few times to try to catch the problem, disable the power, held the power button for a minute, turned back and it works, but after the night I have to reupdate the bios. Any ideas what might be the cause of that? Does the dual bios somehow forgets to use the updated one?

Then put it into the other computer and see if:
Doesnt boot: GPU you bought was broken.
Does work: Your Windows 7 might be doing something wrong.
Or reinsert it. while it's On/off.

Jakub503

Then put it into the other computer and see if:
Doesnt boot: GPU you bought was broken.
Does work: Your Windows 7 might be doing something wrong.
It does work as I literally used it for the last 4 years, I just put it into another PC now. PC can't boot past the gigabyte logo screen, and updating the bios or reseting battery solves it, can it really be Windows problem?

Edit: I can restart the PC mutliple times during the day and it will work like a charm. It magically stoppes working after long period of being off, like a night.

Mabye. Try opening command prompt (Windows+X) And doing /scannow.
No period.

If doesnt work, Idk what to do.

What brand is your GPU? What brand PSU do you have? Do you have the extra 6 pin PCIe cable from PSU to GPU connected?

crjdriver

It's My Birthday!
How exactly are you updating the bios ie from within windows or are you using Qflash?
Next it is possible to copy the main bios to the backup bios or in other words update the backup bios however that is something that is not normally done.
On the support page for that board, bios F3 does reference nvidia cards.

Jakub503

What brand is your GPU? What brand PSU do you have? Do you have the extra 6 pin PCIe cable from PSU to GPU connected?
Gigabyte GTX 960 with 2GB GDDR5
The PSU brand I will check later, its working for a few years already never had any problems with it. Yes I do connected the 6 pin from PSU to GPU, and also connected 2xMolex to 6 pin to GPU because my 960 needs two of them and the PSU has only one.

Jakub503

How exactly are you updating the bios ie from within windows or are you using Qflash?
Next it is possible to copy the main bios to the backup bios or in other words update the backup bios however that is something that is not normally done.
On the support page for that board, bios F3 does reference nvidia cards.
I use QFlash and update with Fld bios listed here http://www.gigabyte.pl/products/page/mb/ga-h61m-s2pvrev_20#support-dl

Before going to sleep I swapped bios batteries between old and new PC and today the problematic one booted up without any problem, could it be the old battery that is causing this problem? It is hard to analyse what is wrong because I literally have to wait entire night to figure out if the latest fix fixed it or not.

and also connected 2xMolex to 6 pin to GPU because my 960 needs two of them and the PSU has only one.
That might be you problem right there.....some GPU's don't like alternative means of connections. They like the direct specifically designed cables for that connect.

With your molex connection....you're getting direct power from what ever port on the PSU you're using and not for the correct PCIe port. Might want to think about a new PSU that has 2 or more PCIe 6/9 pin cable that are labled GPU/PSU.

crjdriver

It's My Birthday!
Those batteries are very cheap; just pickup a pack at walmart or just about anywhere.
Qflash is the preferred way to update the bios on a gigabyte board. Using a windows based program just adds another chance for something to go wrong.

Jakub503

With your molex connection....you're getting direct power from what ever port on the PSU you're using and not for the correct PCIe port. Might want to think about a new PSU that has 2 or more PCIe 6/9 pin cable that are labled GPU/PSU.
I was thinking about this as well but buying another PSU now is not within our reach, so I try to eliminate every other possibilities first. Now I remember something when I tried to install Windows10 on it a year ago, it said it couldn't install because of wrong partition format, couldn't install on MBR, it needed GPT, and for GPT it needed a full disk wipe while I had some important data on it, so I installed windows 7 instead and sticked with it.
Could changing it now to GPT solve the problem of booting? I read somewhere that it boots faster and easier than MBR.

crjdriver

It's My Birthday!
You cannot change win7 to gpt without a wipe. You can change win10 from mbr to gpt without a wipe however it is somewhat complex AND you need to be comfortable working in CLI.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online