1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New Grapchis Card installed but won't work

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 1badelf, Feb 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 1badelf

1badelf Thread Starter

Hi and thanks,
    I recently bought an upgrade for my graphics (ATI Rage 128 Pro). I placed it in my first PCI slot and my monitor doesn't turn on. I know the slot recognizes the card because I have an older Marox millinium pci card installed and it works fine. I have an onboard video but I loaned my computer to mysister for school for a few weeks when hers went down and somehow she managed to break the connector, anyway I replaced the onboard with a pci card and it has worked fine ever since. I wanted to uograde the card so I could play some better games which required 3d graphics and more memory so I bought this cheaper ATI Rage 128 pro. I know windows is recognizing it because when I look into the devide manager it is listed. I go and disable the matrox and restart the computer with the new one installed and the monitore just stays black and won't turn on. I know it is not in the bios because if it was the Matrox card would not work. So any suggestions would be great. I am wondering if the card might be damaged or something to that affect. If the card was damaged would it still load up? I mean be able to see it in the device manager. Thanks for all your time and i hope we can work this out. :D ]

2. norton850

norton850

If you don't see anything when you turn your system on then the problem is not Windows or drivers. Have you tried a different PCI slot and double checked the connection from the the monitor cable? Could be a bad card.

3. Compiler

Compiler

- Can we assume you moved the monitor cable to the ATI card? Does the ATI card have dual output. Even the best of us have foregotten this.

- The ATI128 is very old. (Like 5+ years old) with perhaps 16mb RAM. While it may showup as "detected" - the connector itself could be damaged and the card/windows wouldn't know it.

- Also, due to its age, what games are you expecting to run on it? Typical video cards of today have 128/256mb RAM (Starting at $50). Look at a more modern, but still useless for modern gaming ATI 9250/9550 PCI (AGP would be better, if you have an AGP slot) would be about 10x faster. Even a typical HP with onboard video at $400 (AMD64 / 512mb RAM) would be faster than the 9250 types of cards.

4. 1badelf

1badelf Thread Starter

I am thinking it must be a bad card because I tried it in a different slot and checked it against two monitors and a different computer. When you unplug the cord you can see the screen say lost connection, then when you plug it back in it takes away the lost connection screen but still will not work. i am only trying to play a few games. I will probably try to buy a better card. by the way this particular card is 64mb

5. 1badelf

1badelf Thread Starter

thanks for your time and hepl. I am sure the card is defective and will send it back. thanks.

6. 1badelf

1badelf Thread Starter

I do not have an AGP slot. only 4 PCI slots

7. Compiler

Compiler

Then if you want to do PC gaming, replace the whole system. Look in the GAMING section for what people build or buy. But a decent system (with XP) is about $600. Vista adds about $100~200, and is unreliable for gaming at this moment. Yet vista is all you can get for a NEW PC now.

8. 1badelf

1badelf Thread Starter

:D Hey all.
    I recently someone gave me a computer with what they said was supposed to have a really hot board. It is a MIS board. 745 Ultra (MS 6561 Version 10. It has an AMD Athelon Processor. I believe it is a Athelon 64 FX. I went to AMD's web site and after about an hour I got fustrated and quit looking uo the numbers, So Here they are: AMD Athlon
    AXDA2700KV3D 9784263260125
    AIUHB031SSPFW (These numbers are on a black tag)
    500102242745U (This number is on a white scan tag)
    27648 (this number is by the little diamond that shows you how to align the chip in the socket)
    It is a socket 462. Any help with the processor ID would be greatly appreciated. I would also like to know the comparison with my Dell Demension 2400 2.2 Ghtz Pent 4. Thanks alot .:cool:

9. catlady13

catlady13

10. 1badelf

1badelf Thread Starter

Thanks for your time and quickness in your answer. The page was a great help.

11. catlady13

catlady13

No problem.. I don't know everything there is to know about computers ( I have built a number of them and help friends with theirs ) but I am usually good at looking things up. I have an MSI board myself and like it though I have an Intel processor in it. Because it is an MSI motherboard you look it up on the msi site not amd. If you really want to know how the speed will compare to your present machine you really need to find out your processor speed . That is why I gave you the page for cpuid. It will tell you that and can give you a comparison. Motherboards can usually support several different processors with different speeds so you need to know that to compare.. Also you could right click on my computer then go to properties and it should give you your cpu speed.

12. Compiler

Compiler

Says from the ID - AMD-XP 2700... a decent chip from its time.

How it compared to the Dell 2.2? There are factors in place. Like - if both systems are Clean installs. The worlds most powerfule PC can run like crap if its loaded with junk, virus infections, and lots of startup... also, RAM (how much) is a factor as well a video.

Most Dells, like that 2400 are fine basic business and email home PC... Will never play games or be particually powerful. You can pop in an AGP card into that MSI board (should be one already of course) and play some games - including Half-Life2, Doom3, UT2004... On the Dell, er.. uh no... kinda, but not as fun.

AMD 2700 was easily faster than many P4s... even the 3.0Ghz, for gaming.

Good liuck..

13. 1badelf

1badelf Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick info. I don't have this computer up and running yet. I don't have the correct type of RAM to make it run. I have one gig of DDR and it calls for DDR2. And the price of RAM right now will probably leave this computer on the shelf for now.

14. Compiler

Compiler

Only the current AMD64 (socket AM2) support DDR2. AMD(32bit) uses DDR1... get the 333mhz version, that is what you need.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/544010

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice