New Graphics Card - 3 year old Power Supply

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

acameron

Hello Everyone,

OK,

I had an 8800 GT 512MB eVGA graphics card.........It died :mad:(n):(

I purchased a 9800GTX+, see HERE

Power Supply minimum recomendations are .......

Minimum of a 450 Watt power supply
(Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 24 Amps.)
Minimum 550 Watt for SLI mode system
(Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 30 Amp Amps.)
An available 6 pin PCI-E power connector (hard drive power dongle to PCI-E 6 pin adapter included with card)

I have an Aspire 500w PSU....Power ratings are......

+3.3V = 28A
+5V = 30A
+12V1 = 16A
+12V2 = 18A

-5V = 0.3A
-12V = 0.8A
+5VSB = 2.0A

Now, do I add the 2 +12V rails together to get the total amps for my PSU (would be 34 amps in this case) or do I need a PSU that has 24 amps or more on each +12V rail???

Next question,

I need to use the power adapter (2 HDD plugs to one 6 pin PCI-E plug) as this PSU does not have an independant 6 pin plug of its own.

Does this adapter need to be plugged in to 2 different HDD plugs on 2 independant wires coming out of the PSU?

Right now it is plugged into 2 HDD plugs but they are both on the same line coming out of the PSU............... Does this even matter?

Also, I am not using SLI, nor will I be until I build a new rig.

Any info you can give me is appreciated.

Thanks

Acameron

acameron

OK, Assume that I will be buying another PSU......which I had planned on I just can't do it right now.....I should be able to order it in a week or so.

What is the best set up for my question below...I would rather not have this PSU blow up while I am waiting on the new PSU....................

I need to use the power adapter (2 HDD plugs to one 6 pin PCI-E plug) as this PSU does not have an independant 6 pin plug of its own.

Does this adapter need to be plugged in to 2 different HDD plugs on 2 independant wires coming out of the PSU?

Right now it is plugged into 2 HDD plugs but they are both on the same line coming out of the PSU

So this is not true of a PSU with 2 +12V rails then????

do I add the 2 +12V rails together to get the total amps for my PSU (would be 34 amps in this case)

Adding the 2 rails together was what the tech at customer support at Apevia said to do....I was unsure of how correct this was so I asked here....

Thanks

Acameron

Adding the rails together is not what you do. In modern ATX power supplies, the 12V2 rail (18 A in your PSU) is isolated for the CPU's usage. And your PSU is a true dual 12V rail PSU, but dual rail PSUs totally suck for anything decent..
It doesn't matter too much whether you connect the 2xmolex to 6 pin PCI-E adapter to the same or different wires, but with a low-quality unit, you can't really trust it too much, so put it to two different wires.
But... There is a reason why it doesn't have that 6-pin connector, and the reason is that it really isn't just enough for a decent graphics card... Good luck, if you see problems when running the PC before the new PSU, I'd recommend immediately unpluggin the 9800 GTX+ and keeping it at bay until you have the new PSU.

acameron

Good luck, if you see problems when running the PC before the new PSU, I'd recommend immediately unpluggin the 9800 GTX+ and keeping it at bay until you have the new PSU.
The machine is not being used for gaming until I get the new PSU... I dont have onboard graphics or an old card to use in the place of the 9800 untill then or I would not be using the 9800....

Thanks

Tony

acameron

Quick question for this PSU

Connectors

1 x Main connector (20+4Pin) -Main MB conection
1 x 12V(4/8Pin) - 4 pin CPU connection
8 x peripheral - by this they mean 4 pin Molex connectors correct? I need 4 total.
8 x SATA
2 x Floppy
2 x PCI-E

I have not researched many PSU's until now so I am just trying to make sure I understand what I am looking at.

Acameron

Peripheral mean molex, yes.
That's one great PSU, go get it if you feel like it.

acameron

OK, I got this PSU

Everything is up and running....I can't believe how quiet this PSU is compared to my old one (y):)

I am unhappy with the cable length / amount of cable there is hanging off this PSU....Now I understand why PSU's with modular cableing are so much more costly :)

The cables are long ... but not overly so, as some of the reviews on Newegg suggest.

The cables on the Aspire PSU that I took out were much longer and because of this I was able to tuck away all of the excess cabling on the MB side of the case, even the slack from the cables I was using was tucked away over there and out of sight.

The cables I used for the optical drives on the new PSU had no problem reaching the drives, there just isn't enough slack in the cables left to tuck it away on the side....I had to zip tie them up right behind the optical drives.

Plenty of connections for expansion, I would just need a bigger case.

Then there are actually 3 cabels I didn't use at all, (not counting the unused connectors on the cables I did use), 1 w/ 4 SATA plugs, 1 w/ 4 Molex plugs and 1 PCI-e 6+2 pin.

These tucked away on the side, but, they were a tight fit with all of the fan connectors and front panel connectors already hiding in there.

Overall I am happy.. the weight of the unit was a bit of a shock....about twice as much as the Aspire unit.....

And I dont have to worry about blowing up my PC because the PSU can't handle the 9800 GTX+ (y)

I attache some pics...the one thing that worrys me is the "8-pin EPS12V Connector cable" it has a detachable "4 pin P4 Connector" but there is no slack on the detachable plug and it hangs right next to the CPU fan and I dont have any way to zip tie it out of the way......

That 8-pin thing happened to me, too... Bothered me slightly, but I'm living with it and it can't really cause any trouble there if I don't move it to a dangerous spot myself...
About the weight, that's what tells that there are high quality parts inside.
Too bad that the cable management didn't quite work out fine, as I can see you've put some effort (much more than I, for example) in making the airflow as good as possible... But if I were you, or anyone else for that matter with a decent case, I would never go for a modular PSU nonetheless. All the detachable cables' connectors are one more point that can fail, and also the cennectors make you lose some current on the way. Also, 90% of all modular PSUs have less power to start with than high quality non-modular PSUs of the same rated wattage, even with same manufacturers.

acameron

I can see you've put some effort (much more than I, for example) in making the airflow as good as possible..
I spent the extra $$ on the rounded IDE cables when I first put the rig together...I had some issues with overheating with other PC's I had and didn't want to deal with it again. I really should put a bigger exhaust fan in the back though.....

But if I were you, or anyone else for that matter with a decent case, I would never go for a modular PSU nonetheless. All the detachable cables' connectors are one more point that can fail, and also the cennectors make you lose some current on the way. Also, 90% of all modular PSUs have less power to start with than high quality non-modular PSUs of the same rated wattage, even with same manufacturers.

I looked at this PSU for about 30 seconds ... modular and good looking but just a bit pricey for me :eek::D:eek: Not sure about the manufacturer either.....

Well.. I guess this means its time to put the 9800 to the test with some World At War and Oblivion....... :D

Thanks for the suggestions and help

Acameron

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online