1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New graphics card and no signal

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CalmCaterpillar, Dec 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CalmCaterpillar

CalmCaterpillar Thread Starter

I have an hpe pavillion 1214 and I took out the old card and psu and replaced it. The old card and new 650w corsair tx650 psu worked but the new card and new psu does not. It runs and there is no beeping, I don't think this computer has an onboard graphics card. I turn it on and the fan on the sapphire radeon hd 7770 runs but I get no signal. I plugged it into the power supply and my old card works if I switch it back. I have no clue how to fix it but the new card gives me a no signal when I turn the computer on. The old card is an amd radeon hd 7450 and the new one is a sapphire amd radeon hd 7770. The psu is a corsair tx650.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The 7770 is pci3 and your mb is pci2. While most of the time the newer spec is backward compatible, there are times when they just do not play well together. Sometimes a bios update will address this and you would be able to use the new card.
    Here is the spec sheet for your system;
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=c03154290#N186

This is just one of the many reasons I always tell people that attempting to upgrade a big box system ie dell, hp, or whatever is very often an exercise in futility.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I just checked the downloads for that system and there is one bios update however it does not mention anything regarding video card compatibility.

Note I assume you have tried the card in another system and it does in fact work.

4. CalmCaterpillar

No I haven't tried it in another computer but the fan runs and everything so could it still be a dead card?

5. CalmCaterpillar

Is there any pcie 2 card that I can buy that is equivalent to this or better?

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Yes, the card can be faulty and the fan spin.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1082030

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice