1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved New graphics card beeps 6 times then powers down

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ebest, May 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ebest

ebest Thread Starter

First Name:
    Eric
    Hi,

I've recently purchased an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050Ti and it doesn't seem to be cooperating with my PC.

I have searched the internet extensively as well as made several phone calls to the Alienware support team to no avail.

Here is everything that I have tried:

1. Tested my old graphics card again to check if there was any hardware damage (there wasn't, it worked fine).

2. Made sure I was connecting my new card properly (I was).

3. Attempted to update the BIOS. I was NOT able to do this. Upon trying to run the executable files provided on the Dell website I would get the following errors:

A06 and A07 Update: Please run the application again! (looped if I tried again)

A14 Update: You must update to A06, then A07 before updating to A14! (isn't that just dandy? this update however seemed to work properly, it just requires the previous versions to proceed.)
    In an effort to fix these errors, I performed a clean installation of Windows 10 Home and updated it to the most recent version. Even after this, the errors persisted.
    System Specs:

Model: Alienware x51 (ANDROMEDA_R5) (support agent told me that this is an R1 even though that's not what my system info says?)

CPU: Intel® Core™ I7-3770 Quad Core (8MB Cache, up to 3.40GHz w/ Turbo Boost)

GPU (current): NVIDIA GeForce GTX 555 (functional)
    GPU (new): NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050Ti (non-functional)

RAM: HyperX Fury 8GB x2

PSU: 330W External Powerblock

m-itx style Motherboard

If you have any insight into how to fix the problem I'm having I would greatly appreciate it!

Have a good one!

2. replay

replay

3. ebest

ebest Thread Starter

First Name:
    Eric
    Last edited: May 28, 2017
  4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I cannot really tell from the owners manual however it appears you have a bios and not a uefi bios. The 10xx series cards [most of the time] do not support the old style bios. It is really card mfg dependent. [Remember nvidia does not mfg the card; they simply make the processor/chipset] If the card maker included a legacy switch, it may work.
    You best chance of getting this to work is to flash the bios to the latest one. To that end, you are going to have to investigate why you are unable to flash the bios.
    In addition, I would highly recommend installing a new pw supply. Your current pw supply is now 5yrs old or so and that really is about the useful life of a pw supply.

5. ebest

ebest Thread Starter

First Name:
    Eric
    Thanks for the reply!

I'm currently looking into a method to force my bios to update to the latest available version. So far my best option looks like putting the bios executable on a USB and booting from there. My current bios appears to be UEFI, as I have the option to switch between UEFI and legacy.

As for the power supply, it should be fine considering it is an external power block similar to what you'd have for a laptop charger. I doubt that it's the issue but it is a possibility I suppose. I will test it with a new power block to see if that makes a difference.

Thanks again for your input.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If you have a uefi bios, then that is not the problem. Can you try the card in another system to be sure the card is not just DOA?
    If the card works in another system, then update your bios to the latest one and try to install the card again.
    If you do decide to update the bios, be sure you read and fully understand the flashing procedure. While a bios update is not difficult, an incorrect or corrupted flash can render your board unbootable ie junk.

7. ebest

ebest Thread Starter

First Name:
    Eric
    The card definitely works since I had it tested where I bought it. My plan is to create a bootable USB thumb drive using rufus then putting the executable bios update file on the drive. I'll restart my computer and select the USB in the bios. Does this sound like the correct procedure?

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Probably not. Many performance boards ie asus, gigabyte, asrock, etc will allow you to update the bios from within the bios itself. I doubt the dell/alienware has this feature. You are probably going to need some type of operating system ie dos or whatever on the usb AND the usb will need to be bootable.
    If alienware has the bios update utility built in to the bios, then you would not need to do the above however you would need to extract the actual bios file from the .exe. Bios files usually have a .rom suffix a .bin suffix or more modern boards use the bios version as the suffix ie 123xxx.F10 or similar. In any case, a .exe is a windows based file.

9. ebest

ebest Thread Starter

First Name:
    Eric
    Alright, thanks for the info. I really appreciate it. I'll look for something more concrete before I go through with anything.

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Again be sure you fully understand the flashing procedure. Dell stuff is proprietary that is the parts are mfg to dell's specs and not industry standard spec. This can cause any number of problems.

11. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    When you are running the BIOS update, can you choose to Run as Administrator?

Also, do you have access to a Windows 7 disc? If so you can try booting to the Recovery console and try to execute the A07 BIOS update. Put the BIOS update onto a USB drive or in the root of the C drive to make it easier to find; drive C may also not be drive C at the recovery console.

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

13. ebest

ebest Thread Starter

First Name:
    Eric
    Unfortunately I don't have a windows 7 disk.

I am able to run the BIOS upgrade file as administrator and it gives me the same message. I've talked with tech support about it and they have no idea how to make it work.

I've been trying to create a bootable USB following the instructions provided on the Dell website: http://www.dell.com/support/article...-diagnostic-deployment-package--dddp-?lang=EN.

This is the BIOS update procedure they provide: http://www.dell.com/support/article...o-update-the-bios-on-your-dell-system?lang=EN.

I tried this but it did not work. When I selected the USB in one time boot menu it just loaded like my regular windows. My BIOS is still version A03.

14. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  15. ebest

ebest Thread Starter

First Name:
    Eric
    Yep, followed those steps.

I'm getting somewhere! I switched to Legacy Boot and it took me to the console screen where I'm supposed to enter the name of the file I want to run.

At the top of the console screen is said that I had some bad .sys files? I'm not quite sure what this means; perhaps I created the bootable drive incorrectly.

It said that the BIOS update file could not be found even though I had attached it.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1190633

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice