1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New Graphics Card Causing Blue Screen

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ROTC123, Apr 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ROTC123

ROTC123 Thread Starter

Ok, I'm pretty sure my new graphics card has been causing my computer to blue screen. I originally had it recommended, and installed, by the Geek Squad at Best Buy. The first thing I saw when I got home? Blue Screen. Didn't even boot to the login screen. I bring it back, they tinker around, and it boots ok, but I get periodic blue screens. There's a very rare blue screen out of nowhere, just blue screens. Most often, it blue screens right when it's supposed to show the login screen in the boot process. This was while I had vista.

Now, if I just kept booting windows normally, after a few attempts, it would succeed, and would not blue screen. A very big annoyance, but ultimately, I could use my computer in the end. I upgraded to Windows 7. Everything seemed to be working fine, at first. Then I installed ATI Catalyst Control Center, and upgraded the various drivers. Now it won't stop blue screening no matter how many times I boot it.

I'm in safe mode now. The listed files that it said help describe the issue for the Blue Screen are these:

Files that help describe the problem:
    C:\Windows\Minidump\041911-38329-01.dmp
    C:\Users\Alex\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-61729-0.sysdata.xml

It also gave me this:

Additional information about the problem:
    BCCode: 1000007e
    BCP1: FFFFFFFFC0000005
    BCP2: FFFFF80002BB00F3
    BCP3: FFFFF880031CB2F8
    BCP4: FFFFF880031CAB50

Now, as I said, I recently upgraded to Windows 7 (Custom Upgrade, all old programs/files gone), but this has proven to be an issue with both Vista and 7.

These are my specs:

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional , 64 bit
    Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) 9500 Quad-Core Processor, AMD64 Family 16 Model 2 Stepping 2
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 7935 Mb
    Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series , 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 1430796 MB, Free - 672347 MB;
    Motherboard: Gateway, RS780, Rev 1.0, U005083605142

I'm not used to posting this kinda thing, so if I need to post other system specs, let me know.

2. ChRoNo16

ChRoNo16

I honestly recommend just backup all your files to an external harddrive. and do a clean install of windows. Upgrades don't normally work all that well from what I have seen in IT.

3. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    Hi and welcome to TSG.

You say you have upgraded the graphics card, what card did it have previously?
    What is teh exact make and model of the machine?

The PSU could be a problem if you didn't upgrade that with the graphics card.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/992485

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice