New Graphics Card has a PCIe slot

TheMetalKing

I'm fairly new to PC Gaming and a little clueless when it comes to PC's, i bought a cheapish PC recently. I decided to buy a new Graphics Card, i noticed it has 8 slots which i found out is for putting a PCIe Cable into. But my PC doesn't have one of those. I know you can buy them online for fairly cheap. But i noticed on the pictures i could slot it into the Graphics card just fine, but i can't see where i'd slot the other two wires, i was looking inside the PC and noticed that there doesn't appear to be a slot for it.
The power thing i use is 500W Builder.

cwwozniak

Chuck
Hi, and welcome to TSG.

it has 8 slots which i found out is for putting a PCIe Cable into
Do you mean it has a single connector body with two rows of 4 contacts? If so, you are probably looking at the 12VDC power connector for the graphics card. The card needs more power than is available through the PCIe slot on the motherboard that is holding the graphics card.

The power thing i use is 500W Builder.
You need to figure out if the Power Supply Unit (PSU) has enough power to operate all of the existing hardware in the computer plus the new graphics card. You would need to add up all of the current demands for all the voltages used by the motherboard, drives, graphics card, and other hardware. Then make sure your PSU can easily meet those demands with some current to spare. An older PSU would definitely have 4-pin Molex connectors to power older Non-SATA optical and hard drives. You would use two such unused connectors on the PSU to power your graphics card with an adapted cable like the one in this Amazon link.

https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-2-Pack-8-Pin-Inches/dp/B01DV1Z428

TheMetalKing

Hi, and welcome to TSG.

Do you mean it has a single connector body with two rows of 4 contacts? If so, you are probably looking at the 12VDC power connector for the graphics card. The card needs more power than is available through the PCIe slot on the motherboard that is holding the graphics card.

You need to figure out if the Power Supply Unit (PSU) has enough power to operate all of the existing hardware in the computer plus the new graphics card. You would need to add up all of the current demands for all the voltages used by the motherboard, drives, graphics card, and other hardware. Then make sure your PSU can easily meet those demands with some current to spare. An older PSU would definitely have 4-pin Molex connectors to power older Non-SATA optical and hard drives. You would use two such unused connectors on the PSU to power your graphics card with an adapted cable like the one in this Amazon link.

https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-2-Pack-8-Pin-Inches/dp/B01DV1Z428
Yeah it has two rows of four contacts.

How do i figure out if it has enough power? It's a 500W, i am not sure if that is good or not.
As for the wire on the Amazon link, i believe i did see that connection where i can slot the PCIe by the PSU. But i noticed that there is 2 connections on the PCIe, is that a spare wire or does that need to be connected to something else?

Thanks for the reply by the way, this has been very useful so far

crjdriver

There should be a label on the pw supply itself with the mfg and specs. It will look something like the pic below. Upload a pic of your pw supply label.

Attachments

TheMetalKing

There should be a label on the pw supply itself with the mfg and specs. It will look something like the pic below. Upload a pic of your pw supply label.
I opened mine back up, i'll type out what it said as it showed if i can since i can't post a picture.

AC-Input 230V, 5A, 50-60Hz

DC= Output:
+3.3V +5V +12V -12V +5VSB
26A 27A 22A 0.5A 2A
Max Output Total = 500W

Model: 500W Builder.

cwwozniak

Chuck
But i noticed that there is 2 connections on the PCIe, is that a spare wire or does that need to be connected to something else?
The reason for the two Molex connectors on the adapter cable in my Amazon link is if the 12 VDC current requirement of the graphics card exceeds the maximum current rating of one of the PSU's output cables. In such a case, each connector needs to attach to a separate output of the PSU. I have not checked if an adapter cable is available with a single PSU connector.

PCI-E graphics cards get extra power from a PCI-E cable from the power supply. One is shown in the picture below. The cable is 6+2. You either use 6 pins or all 8 pins depending on what the graphic card requires.
2020-10-26 18_01_55-BUILDER EDITION 500W _ RIOTORO.jpg

crjdriver

If I read your post correctly, you have 22amp on the single 12V rail. No way would I ever attempt to run any type of performance video card with that pw supply. In short, you need a quality ie seasonic, corsair, superflower, etc pw supply to run a gaming type card.
While you can purchase an adapter cable to connect one or more sata pw leads to your video card [IMO] you are just asking for a problem by doing so.

Even a corsair 500cx [which is NOT a gaming type pw supply] has 38amp on the 12V rail. At 22amp on the 12V that is really underpowered.
https://www.newegg.com/corsair-cxm-series-cx500m-500w/p/N82E16817139050

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online