1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New graphics card, I get BSODs!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CraDieN, Jan 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CraDieN

CraDieN Thread Starter

Hi everyone, for Christmas I got a new graphics card, my previous card was integrated so it is still in my computer. Since I got the card I started to experience little freezed for around a minute, google chrome completely freezes up and macromedia flash plugin keeps crashing(I have now went back to good old firefox!) and I have maybe gotten about 5 or 6 blue screens in the last month, it is really pissing me off and I think that it has something to do with my old integrated graphics card.

The error message is KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR. I am on Windows 7 btw

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

First of all, you need to post your exact system specs; ie exact mb installed, what video card you installed, exact pw supply, etc, etc. No one knows what hardware you have.

If this is a big box system ie dell, hp, whatever, then post the exact model#

3. CraDieN

CraDieN Thread Starter

Sorry :3

It's a desktop PC

3GB of RAM

64 bit operating system (Windows 7)

My old (integrated) card was "Intel HD Graphics Family" I don't know if this is the actual model though but I could never find what it was actually called

My new graphics card is the ASUS EAH6770, I never had to install any drivers or stuff, I just got PC World to put it in, I don't know if they might have installed them, but it works perfectly.

I don't quite know what you mean by power supply, I have it plugged in at the wall? XD

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  5. CraDieN

CraDieN Thread Starter

Ah sorry I meant to put in my model in my last post ^^

ADVENT DT1308

If that doesn't help then tommorow I can open up the computer and see what it is

A review said "350W FSP power supply unit" so is that it? :D

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You need a new power supply. AMD & Asus recommend a minimum 450 watt power supply for the average system with the graphics card. You will want to make sure its a quality unit as well, not some store brand or cheap unbranded unit, look for brands such as Corsair, Antec, Enermax, or OCZ to name a few.

7. CraDieN

CraDieN Thread Starter

Thank you :)

Around how much would one cost?

Also will it damage the computer if I have to wait a while to get a new one?

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  9. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    If you can wait, I would avoid buying from PC world as you will pay over the top. Personally, I would avoid letting them ever touch one of my machines aswel but I do appreciate that alot of people use them without any problems.

By comparison, here is the same PSU from Aria (whre I get alot of my parts from)

http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Comp...s+80PLUS+Bronze+Power+Supply+?productId=45457

£10 less than PC world, although with standard shipping that goes down to just of £2 cheaper, however I am a penny pincher and also factor in my fuel costs as my nearest PC world is around 50 mile round trip.

10. CraDieN

CraDieN Thread Starter

If I may ask why would you "avoid letting them ever touch one of [your] machines"

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I suggest you take it back and talk to a manager. They should never have installed that card with your current pw supply. The shop should have told you that you need a better quality pw supply or at the very least made you aware that you can damage your system by using your current pw supply.

12. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    Just personal experience and what I have heard in the past. They only do basic checks, aren't that well qualified (if they were, would they really be working in PC World?).

They may have changed (I haven't been in one for a long time) but I always thought they were a bit of a con, £15-£20 to install RAM (a 2 minute job generally). I went with a friend ages ago to help him buy a new PC and the 'advisor' he spoke to didn't have a clue what he was talking about (do they still work on commission?).

I guess its the old story of once bitten, twice shy :) I have no time or patience for incompetence at work, no matter what sector you work in :D Maybe its my military background haha

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1038660

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice