1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New Graphics card monitor blank on startup Help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Rednutt, Oct 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rednutt

Rednutt Thread Starter

Ok please be gentle as i dont know much about computers :eek:

I have just installed Nvidia geforce fx 5200 128mb graphics card. When i startup i have a blank screen. I need to take the monitor cable out of Nvidia card slot and put it in another slot(i presume it's the onboard slot) Now i see a red box flashing (connection msg)then i take it out the onboard slot and move it back to the slot for Nvidia card and everything works fine.
    This only really happens if the computer is off for a while but if i am just restarting then i dont have to move the cables to different slots, everything starts up as normal.

I understand you may need to know some info regarding my computer but you will probably have to tell me where to look to find this info lol :D What i do know is that its a Compaq presario S3350UK, Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.66GHz 2.67GHz, 1.00GB of RAM
    windows xp pro

I appreciate any help that you can offer. Thanks

2. Rednutt

Rednutt Thread Starter

Hi all i guess this isn't any easy problem to fix. I have reset defaults in Bios and also updated the Bios. Since this i noticed in the setup PCI is now set as the primary instead of AGP/onboard.
    Thought that i had sussed it ! Switched off for a few mins then started up and again and blank screen again grrrrrrrr. Once again switched vga connector to motherboard vga port and screen powered up but no display. Switched it back over to PCI port and everthing is connected and running.
    I feel i may have to disable onboard graphics but there is no sign of it in device manager.
    Please someone help Please

3. Flags

Flags

Red: You would disable the onboard VGA in the BIOS, not the Device Manager.
    Usually, though, when you install an AGP card, onboard is automatically disabled, check it anyway.
    Also check Nvidia's site to see if there are new dirvers for your card.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/636556

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice