1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New graphics card slow response...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by laceycat, Feb 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. laceycat

laceycat Thread Starter

We just upgraded our card to a Sapphire Radeon 9550 256mb ddr memoy. When the pc was idle, our monitor would go black, and with our old creative card, when you pressed a key the screen would come back quite quick. Now with this new card, the response time is very slow. Why would this be? Our old card only had 64mb memory. Is there anything we can do to change any settings to make it quicker? Hope this makes sense!

2. timothye

timothye

you can get the latest drivers for you ATI card ..
    see my sig for the ATI driver removal tool ..
    first uninstall the old drivers . start/ control panel / add& remove programs . then reboot your machine ..now run the ATI driver removal tool ... after its done reboot again. now when windows baloon in system tray says found new hardware .. click cancel , dont let it try and install some driver for you .. click canceal .. until it goes away . now go here
    http://www.ati.com and get the drivers for your card .
    5.2 is the latest driver version #
    hope this helps .
    cheers

3. inferlogic

inferlogic

is your power supply powerfull enough to run your new card along with keeping up power with the rest of your computer, what wattage is your power supply?

4. timothye

timothye

good point . 350 watt is reccomended by ATI . check here for your PSU , if its powerfull enought ..i know these ati cards use alot .
    see here ,Is it good enough to run my ATI card
    hope this helps ;)

5. laceycat

laceycat Thread Starter

Thanks for replying. I'm about to download the latest driver for this but where about do I save it on on the hard drive win prog files? Also (stupid question) but how do I know what the wattage is on the power supplier.

6. timothye

timothye

you can look on your PSU ( power supply unit ) inside the case . where the power cord connects to your computer . its a small box at top of case inside .. it will tell you the wattage on the side ... 250watt something like that ..
    as for the drivers . you dont need to save them anywhere , just hit RUN from the download window and then when its done install the new drivers ..this way you dont have the install files on your computer , because you know next month there will be new driver out to install so no use having the old version s cluttering up your hard drive ..
    cheers m8 .

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/331588

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice