1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

new graphics card work on old mobo?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jtn3833, May 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jtn3833

jtn3833 Thread Starter

Here are the stats for my buddies 2001 rig:

Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 3
    Motherboard: ECS (Elitegroup) Model K7S5A ver. 1.0 - PCI ports
    Processor: AMD Athlon MMX 3DNow - 1.1 GHz
    2 GB (possible) of RAM

I looked up his mobo and the site said it should have an AGP port, though he doesn't mention it above. I'm wondering if he were to get an up-to-date graphics card like the Sapphire ATI RADEON HD 3850 would it work in his system? I know it wouldn't be ideal, but he's just trying to upgrade his system and can't afford a new one.

Thanks,
    JTN

2. daniel_b2380

daniel_b2380

agp - pci-E and pci are ALL different card sockets
    a card made for one type WILL NOT fit in the other types

currently, there are a FEW vid cards being made for agp,
    but it is really just a waste of money - the newer cards for pci-e really aren't designed for the agp bus - so aren't tweaked that way, so it wouldn't be an upgrade as such - better to save the money to put to a newer pc.......sorry

3. jtn3833

jtn3833 Thread Starter

Oh yeah, I know the difference between PCI, AGP & PCI-express - that's not a problem.

According to his mobo builder his board has AGP. My question is will a newer AGP card run on his ancient computer, he can shell out $100 for a new card, not enough for a new rig. Right now he's using a graphics card from 2001, so I figure almost any card upgrade is worth it as long as his computer can run it.

Thanks,
    JTN

4. daniel_b2380

daniel_b2380

yeah, probably will, [- is it 2x -4x -or 8x] - but RUN may NOT be the word for it, walk or crawl may be the better word - as i said.....
    - if he has used this 'ancient' card for this long???????? his money though.....

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/830268

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice