1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

new graphics card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Fyzbo, Mar 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Fyzbo

Fyzbo Thread Starter

I have a new graphics card, but when I tried to install it it didn't fit in the slot. I think it is an AGP card and I thought I had an AGP slot, but the slot seems backwards. It looks as though it would fit if I turned it around. Any thoughts?

2. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

Can you be more specific? What card did you buy? What motherboard do you have?

Note: If you bought a AGP 2X card, and your computer requires 8X, then your computer might not boot up correctly.

3. X_Gamer7

X_Gamer7

Is there a slot closer to the processor above the others that is smaller (and usually brown)?

4. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

Check the Asus web site or your MB book. It should tell you what slot your MB has ;)

5. Fyzbo

Fyzbo Thread Starter

ITA All in Wonder card.
    It's a Gateway computer how can I come up with the motherboard?

6. X_Gamer7

X_Gamer7

what is the model name and number of the gateway?

7. Fyzbo

Fyzbo Thread Starter

The slot has a bar where the arrow is, so you can see it seems reversed. And yes I am trying the little brown one near the processor.

Attached Files:

• card.jpg
      card.jpg
      File size:
      137.9 KB
      Views:
  8. Fyzbo

Fyzbo Thread Starter

I believe it was the 700XL though it's a couple of years old, well jsut over 2 years. It's a desktop.

9. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

Which version? 9600, 9700 9800 Pro? It should be 8X. If your computer is only two years old then the AIW should work fine with it.

10. Fyzbo

Fyzbo Thread Starter

I unfortunately don't know which graphics card it is, I didn't buy it. Free is nice, until you need to know specifics. I thought it would work fine, but it does not fit. As shown in the picture I posted the slot seems to be backwards, there is a bar where it doesn't fit and none where it would fit. I assumed that there are two different types of cards, and that's why it doesn't fit, but I don't know so I figured I would ask.

11. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

Here is a guide that I made for you:

[​IMG]

Sounds like yours is an older 9600. If you can find a link to the gateway support page with your manual, then someone can download it and check it for you, but that's not going to make it work, that will only tell you why it isn't working ;)

12. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

It looks like you have a AGP 2X card, and a AGP 4X or 8X slot.

Time to give the card away to someone else :p

That's a shame, because the AIW is an awsome card. The new one, the All In Wonder 9800 Pro is probably the best card out there today that doesn't cost an arm and a leg ;)

13. Fyzbo

Fyzbo Thread Starter

thank you so much. That guide is great and explained a lot.

14. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

A picture says a thousand words :D

Glad I was able to help ;)

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/216378

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice