Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

New graphics card

947 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  zeddy 
#1 ·
Hello everyone. I recently purchased an ati radeon 9200 128 mb agp graphics card. The installation instruction were very vauge, so i searched the tehcguy forums for input. I originally had on oboard grpahics card. My motherboard is made by asustek and i do have an intel chipset. I unhooked the cpu and plugged in the new graphics card. I reconnected my monitor to the new graphic card , and installed the new drivers. Everything seems to be working fine. Windows Xp detected the new hardware etc. I did notice today , after a restart, that some of my icons seems to be of lower quality. Slightly distorted and pixilated. I was curious if there was some steps that i did not complete after installing the new graphics card. I read that with xp you dont necessarily have to uninstal the old drivers for the onboard vidoe card, as xp will archive them. Is this true ? Or is a conflict between graphics drivers causing some of my icons to look corrupted ? As well, my windows logon screen seems slightly corrupted.
thanks.

#2 ·
You should uninstall the old drivers before popping in the new card. I would also recommend using the Catalyst suite drivers from the ATI website, its now on version 4.4, and the website gives a good guide on installation.
ATI .

#5 ·
well seeing as ive already installed my new graphics card, is it possible to uninstall the onboard graphics card drivers without having to remove the new card ? Also , my graphics card came with some installation cd, but the catalyst software seemed to be some kind of trial. Is their free catalyst software i can download and what benefit do i recieve from using the catalyst software ? thanks.

#6 ·
I would recommend uninstalling the new graphics software and (tedious tho it is) enablin g the onboard and uninstalling its software fully. Then install the radeon card with the catalyst software - which isn't a trial, its a complete suite which is ATIs answer to the nVidia and its Detonator drivers - the catalyst suite is free, the only issue is the dvd component, which is only installable on certain versions of the radeon family.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.