1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

new hard disk format?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by okeee, Apr 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. okeee

okeee Thread Starter

about HD (WD 750 GB caviar green)
    I just bought this new from a store. Should I format it before use? I also want to make a partition on it, what would be the best way (win xp is already installed on another hard drive)? And should I format again after partitioning?

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If you want to use the drive, you must partition and format. Do the following;
    1 Shutdown the system and open the case
    2 Determine where you are going to install the drive and do so. Connect sata and pw connectors
    3 PW ON the system and let windows boot.
    4 Go to disk management Start>run and type in "diskmgmt.msc" without quotes and hit enter
    5 Your new drive should be listed and shown as unallocated. Right click on the unallocated space and choose to create partition. Accept the defaults unless you want more than one partition on the drive. Once done with that, again right click on the partitioned space and choose to format. Since this is a new drive, you can select quick format if you want. It will save a lot of time however a quick format does not check the drive so it is up to you.

When you are done, you can restart your system and the drive will be given the next available drive letter.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

BTW I assume you have checked and your system/mb does in fact support a large drive.

4. okeee

okeee Thread Starter

Well no, I haven't read anything about it in the manual. I didn't know some motherboards don't support large hard drives.
    But the components are quite new: Intel core 2 duo e8400, Corsair XMS2 - 4 GB ( 2 x 2 GB ) - DIMM 240-pins - DDR2 -
    1066 MHz / PC2-8500 - CL5 - 2.1 V, win xp.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

That should be no problem.

6. okeee

okeee Thread Starter

This is the motherboard: asus p5q-e

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

No problem. You have 8 sata connectors so you have plenty of places to connect your new drive.

8. okeee

okeee Thread Starter

In disk management, there are some options that I don't know. For creating a partition, what should be the cluster size? And should file and folder compression be enabled?

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Just accept the defaults; leave the cluster size to whatever it is now and do not enable compression.

10. okeee

okeee Thread Starter

what do these 2 mean?

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

They mean exactly what they say;
    Cluster size is the size of the clusters on the disk; usually 4kb. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314878
    Compression is again just what it says; to allow compression of the file system.

Again just accept the defaults.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/916809

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice