1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New Hard Drive Advice Please

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by booskii, Dec 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. booskii

booskii Thread Starter

I just added a small but new hard drive to my already existing system. My question however is if I should make my new hd (160 gig) the master drive, or leave well enough alone and leave my existing 40 gig hd as master.

And if I did change it over, would that not mean also that I'd need to not only copy my existing xp onto the new drive, and also partition it. I'm an aged user yet still very much a newbie when it comes to upgrades n fixes etc. My computer came with Winxp already installed, and no seperate xp software disks.

Everything works just fine, and the old adage "if it works, dont fix it" comes to mind.

Any advice?

2. bigbear

bigbear

I would keep the 40g for windows and all your apps, use the 160g for storage.

3. Hughv

Hughv

A new drive should have more remaining life than an old drive, so that's a possible reason to switch.
    The lack of an XP disk is another reason to consider at least making an image of the old drive in order to have a backup of your OS when something fails.
    Most computers have some way to reinstall the OS, however, so I'm curious about the make and model of your machine so we can find out how a reinstall or recovery is done.
    If there's a downside to switching, it's the time and effort involved, and the remote chance of fouling everything up forever.
    Most drive manufacturers offer free cloning software, and you might consider a drive image as a backup device.
    I'd move to the new drive if I were you, but there's lots of variables including your old adage.

4. booskii

booskii Thread Starter

Yeah I think I will keep the 40g for the windows OS, and the 160 for storage as big bear noted. Thanks BigBear!

5. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

Who made your Computer ??
    Many OEMs require that you burn your own Recovery DVDs
    This should be the first thing you do .. use a good quality DVD ...
    you only have one chance to make your own.

6. booskii

booskii Thread Starter

Hmm well I'm gonna keep from fixin what aint already broke as they say anyway. The computer itself is a 2003 holiday special purchased at Walmart. The computer model is an A305W HP Pavilion. A cheapy from day one, I feel fortunate that it hasnt given up on me yet. I'm thinkin by the time the 40 crashes, I'll be ready for a new OS by then? lol Actually a new computer is probably more the case. I've already bumped this one up to its max mem of 1 gig.

Thanks to both of you for your learned advice. Happy Holidays!

7. booskii

booskii Thread Starter

uh yeah, thats the thing, when i very first bought it i was in the middle of making recovery cd's and I used an old (and too of disk space) cd. For some reason it didn't like that, and now my computer has been stuck in what seems to be a non reversable glitch. It wont let me continue to make the recovery cd's and it wont let me start the "making recovery cd's" process from the beginning.

8. booskii

booskii Thread Starter

oops sorry, I'm not sure the manufacturer of it, it does say HP Pavilion on it, if theres further manufacturer info I'm don't know where to find it.

Sorry I messed up my last posting and have since edited what I was trying to say which is:

And the thing is, when i very first bought it i was in the middle of making recovery cd's and I used an old (and too small of disk space) cd. For some reason it didn't like that, and now my computer has been stuck in what seems to be a non reversable glitch. It wont let me continue to make the recovery cd's and it wont let me start the "making recovery cd's" process from the beginning.

9. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

Press ALT+CRTL+S (at the same time)
    Write down the ...
    Model #
    Product #
    Serial #
    Software build #

Then Email HP ... [email protected] ..
    Give them this info and request your recovery CDs.

They will try to charge you ...
    Say NO ... If they would let you do it again you wouldn't have this problem.
    Hang in there till they send them for free .. It's not your problem.

Cross your fingers (and toes) and hope they send the right ones ... or ones that work.
    Just got a new set with my Software build # ..
    And they say I have to send the computer in to have the Mobo re-tattoed.

Now's the time for you to think about an External Hard drive .. and Acronis True Image ..
    And make your own Backup/Recovery
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/

I would have a junk Computer without it.

Then you can think about re-arranging your HDs

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/665559

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice