1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New hard drive... can't setup windows XP

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Comp_Moron, Jul 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Comp_Moron

Comp_Moron Thread Starter

So here's my issue...
    I have an alienware M7700. I am trying to install a new hard drive. The computer was configured for an IDE drive, I installed a SATA cable and a Fujitsu 160gb SATA hard drive (MHW2160BJ). When I power the computer up, the drive is detected and everything seems to work fine until I try to set up Windows XP. the last screen that apears asks which drive I want to use to setup windows, but the list only has 4 spaces that all say "Unknown drive -there is no disk in the drive". then I get a BSOD with error messages that indicate

Setupdd.sys, PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
    0X0000008E (0XC0000005, 0X8081A799, 0XF6F61778, 0X00000000)

2. printmatt

printmatt

I think you should go to BIOS and setup your primary hard drive.

3. Comp_Moron

This is my primary hard drive. I should have stated that I am Replacing my drive, not installing a secondary. What would I look at in BIOS?

4. Comp_Moron

I was just told that it might be a problem with my RAM, any thoughts? (I Was told this by someone who probably doesn't know what they are talking about, but I thought I should address it anyway)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/839968

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice