1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New Hard Drive fitted advice please

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by playme123, Jun 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. playme123

playme123 Thread Starter

Nicked a 40gb seagate hard drive out of an old sky plus (pvr), have put it into pc and turned into a slave hd. Pc recognises it no problems everything seems to be ok with it, it store music everything seems to be ok. I have not formatted the slave drive is there any need to do so , also they both are running fat32 files systems

2. bigbear

bigbear

If your OS is XP I would have formatted them with NTFS

3. playme123

playme123 Thread Starter

the os is xp how do I go about formatting them with ntfs and on the main hard disk drive would this not erase the os

4. bigbear

bigbear

Just remember if you format you will lose everything on the drive
    Got diskmanagement start>run and type diskmgmt.msc and hit enter.
    You will see quite clearly your boot drive and your slave drive.
    Right click on the drive you want to format and choose to format with ntfs

5. playme123

playme123 Thread Starter

if I formatted the slave with ntfs could U keep the main hd as fat32, the pc I have didnt come with any disks and its using xp pro, so thats why im hesitenet with formatting the main drive, and if I was to keep using the fat32 file system on both drives would that give me any probs with using xp pro

6. win2kpro

win2kpro

If they drives ain't broke, don't fix them. You can run XP Pro on FAT 32.

7. playme123

playme123 Thread Starter

Cheers for that info, its the old pc that I said I was being given in this thread
    http://forums.techguy.org/do-yourself-projects/586325-im-being-given-what-can.html
    Basically going to give it to my daughter, and upgrade the ram on it. Ive also got to install a network card on it so she will be able to go online.
    Its also ideal for me to tinker about with, as got it for nothing and if I bugger it up not really got anything to loose financely.
    Im going to have to look for some suitable software so my daughter will be safe when she is online
    but thanks for everyones info on this(y) :)

8. playme123

playme123 Thread Starter

just tried to fromat the slave drive and it will only let me format it to ntfs and not fat32 I think im best just to leave it well alone

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/587467

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice