1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

new hard drive fitted

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tinleg, Sep 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tinleg

tinleg Thread Starter

i have just fitted a new hard drive to my computer(windows 98se),and now i can't get in to the old hard drive,i have made the new hard drive the master and the old one the slave unit.any suggestions?

2. norton850

norton850

Where can you see you hard drive listed? Is it in BIOS, device manager and My Computer?

3. tinleg

tinleg Thread Starter

i've had a look in the device manager and all i can find is intel 82801aa bus master ide controller,primary ide (dual fifo) and secondary ide (dual fifo)

4. dai

dai

put the new drive as slave

5. tinleg

tinleg Thread Starter

i fitted a new drive so it would work faster then the old one.i don't really want to make the old drive the master.as it's only 14.2gigs whereas the new one is 80gigs.

6. norton850

norton850

If you can get into device manager do you see anything listed under disk drives? Which drive has Win98 on it? The new or old one?

7. tinleg

tinleg Thread Starter

win98 is on both drives.i managed to upload win 98 onto new drive.listed under disk drives-generic ide disk type 47 times 2 and generic nec floppy disk

8. dai

dai

put the new one as slave
    transfer everything over to it
    put it in as master diisconnect the old drive
    windows will make this C drive when you boot
    connect the old one as slave and format it

9. Sisu

Sisu

I had a similar problem when I put in a Maxtor as a second drive. Put the new drive as a master and the old one as a slave but disconnect the old drive and unplug it. Format the new drive and install Windows. Reconnect and boot up again. Remove the data from the old hard drive and then reformat it.

Make sure you have the switches on the drives correctly positioned. Some have a "select" feature that automatically allows it to be master or slave.

10. tinleg

tinleg Thread Starter

when i go in to my computer it doesn't list the old drive.does it matter that the old drive still has all the information on it.

11. Sisu

Sisu

If you reformat the old drive, you'll erase all of its data. Don't do that unless you've backed everything up. When I recently installed XP SP2, it left me with a pointer and desktop background after I logged onto my screen name on a shared computer. The solution was to use the taskmanager to log off and then log on again. That's not what I did. I reformatted and reinstalled a clean version of XP. Unfortunately, because I had the data drive, (160GB in four partitions) mounted in the first slot due to the ribbon, I didn't unplug it and erased all of my data.

Back up your data first.

12. tinleg

tinleg Thread Starter

how can i find the old drive without changing the lead again?

13. Sisu

Sisu

Windows should detect it. What does your BIOS say?

14. tinleg

tinleg Thread Starter

i don't think i can get in to my bios?

15. dai

dai

look on the post screen as they come up and it will say what key to press to enter the bios.
    usually the delete key if you press to late you will miss the entry and have to reboot and do it again

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/272051

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice