1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New hard drive for old laptop?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CeciliaLibra, May 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CeciliaLibra

CeciliaLibra Thread Starter

Hi!

I have a 6 year old Toshiba 2595CDT laptop with a dead hard drive. Can I replace it with any old laptop hard drive, or does it have to be the same brand?

I was told not to bother replacing the old 6 GB drive with a whiz-bang 100 GB drive, because it would never recognize it. Well, that's ok because I don't need that much hard drive in such an old machine anyway. It's just for my daughter to surf the web.

However, the smallest drives I can find on NewEgg are 20 GB. Is this too much?

I can go and find the exact replacement part, but it's actually more expensive than the 20 Gig drive I just mentioned.

Any thoughts on which I should go with?

Cecilia

2. Gaurdian

Gaurdian

I'd get the 20G from newegg, it should work but if not newegg is pretty good about their returns and refunds if the product is not compatible. At least I've not had any problems.

3. Wino

Wino

One thing to watch for in laptop HDD replacement..........overall thickness. The 2.5" form factor is ok for length and width. Had this thickness problem when replacing HDD in Gateway..........luckily caught the error before newegg, shipped and reordered thinner HDD............the thicker would not have fit in my laptop.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Another issue with old laptops, the BIOS may not support larger drives. I've seen old laptops that wouldn't support a drive larger than 8gig, and a six year old laptop will surely not support anything larger than 32gigs.

5. batistel10

batistel10

I have a tobisha Satellite Pro T2155 and am trying to install a larger hard drive. When I put a drive (IBM Travelstat) larger than a 1 gig the laptop will not come on. It had a 540MB in it and it worked fine with that but when i put a 2-10 gig hard drive in it it will not turn on. What is wrong with it?

6. maarkr

maarkr

I just put a new one in my older sony...the cache on the 10Gb died, so I put in a 20Gb and it runs fine...good luck

7. Mulderator

Mulderator

So that's why you've been divorced so many times! :eek:

:D

Wino--I think you're lost--CivDeb is over thatta way! ;)

8. Wino

Wino

I believe you must have me confused with my evil twin.:eek:

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/364440