1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New Hard Drive Format

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ABRanger, Jan 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ABRanger

ABRanger Thread Starter

Hello Techies!!!
    Building a new system with a 80 Gig HD. While doing FDISK I am only getting it to partition and FORMAT 12953 MB of space. When I use the XP CD at boot to partition and format, it shows the 78000 plus MB of space but only partitions a small amount and sometimes just hangs on the format screen at 0%. Maybe someone can guide me in the right direction here. I'm missing something here. It is asking about partitioning with the NTFS but kinda confused why it is not partitioning and formatting correctly.
    Thanks for your time!!

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Does the bios setup see the drive as the correct size?

3. ABRanger

ABRanger Thread Starter

ummmm....have to look again. I thought I looked in there and it was correct. Where in the BIOS doers it show size or do I adjust it?

4. ~Candy~

It should show it under the hard drive info. If your bios doesn't recognize the whole size, you'll need to set it up with the software (floppy) that should have come with it.

If it didn't come with it, you can download it from the hard drive manufacturer's website. I would recommend downloading the Maxtor software, regardless what hard drive you have. It's more user friendly, and will alert you if your bios doesn't support the drive.

5. ABRanger

ABRanger Thread Starter

Excellent! I will try that as soon as I get home. Can you think of anything else I should check? Why does it recognize the full size when I boot with the XP CD but go to partition and format and only get a small amount of space? I will get back to you when I know more of what the heck I'm doing!!!! Think I was tooooo tired last night! Thanks for the insight!

6. ~Candy~

Not sure why it's not formating. You will need to choose FAT 32 or NTFS in any event. I always use FAT 32, but I have Windows 98 drives formatted under FAT 32, so I need to have access to those.

7. ABRanger

ABRanger Thread Starter

I will let you know what happens. Thanks again.

8. pyritechips

pyritechips Gone but Never Forgotten

First Name:
    Jim
    Hello:

You said you have a 80 GB HDD and you used FDISK? Apparently the standard FDISK, a la the W98se boot floppy, is effective on HDD's only up to 64 GB. (This is a theory I cannot test, as my HDD's are only 40 and 20 GB) There is an upgrade FDISK available but with XP can't you just boot with the CD and let it format?

9. ABRanger

ABRanger Thread Starter

I have booted and attempted setup from XP Cd but it is only letting a partial amount partition and format, not even close to the entire 80 Gigs. Something must neot be set right. (like my brain maybe!). Gotta go look again at the BIOS setup and go from there!!

10. ABRanger

ABRanger Thread Starter

Ok, It shows that it recognizes the HDD. I boot with the XP cd and it shows partition1 (unknown) 78000mb free space. Below that it shows 8mb partitioned. Now I highlight Partition 1 and it goes through the whole Format with the yellow bar/meter and when it reaches 100% it switches to another screen stating it was unable to format that partition. Disk may be damaged, some other things like that.

11. ~Candy~

Download the software disk from the hard drive manufacturer. It can also run a diagnostics on the drive to see if it's bad.

12. SSG RONFIN

SSG RONFIN

Can you use a program like Partition Magic? It'll give many options for you, and tell you what's going on. You'll be able to merge empty space, etc...
    Also, when you format, and you're using WinXP, make sure you go with NTSF over FAT32. Much MUCH better for WinXP.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/195639

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice