1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

new hard drive format

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mfdsuk, Jan 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mfdsuk

mfdsuk Thread Starter

hello
    i have put in a new hard drive and opened up windows only to find that the the new hard drive is not there only my master one c:\. i think it is because i need to make the new slave one a fat 32 drive how do i do this.
    any help will be greatly appreciated. :)

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    First you need to set the jumpers on the drive correctly. Assuming you have two drives on the same IDE data cable one drive needs its jumper to be set as Master and the second drive on that same cable needs to be set as Slave. The original drive should be the one set to Master and the new one set as Slave.

Then you need to enter the BIOS setup at bootup, usually DEL or F2 gets you in(this is before Windows loads). Run the IDE autodetection to detect the new drive or see if the new drive is already picked up and recongised properly. Save and Exit.

Then in Windows you will need to partition and format the drive. How you do this depends on what version of Windows you are running which is?

3. mfdsuk

mfdsuk Thread Starter

im running win xp pro

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Go to Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Disk Management to see the new drive. Right click on the drive to partition and format it.

5. mfdsuk

mfdsuk Thread Starter

ok thank you very much

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/325365

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice