1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New hard drive giving me problems! HELP!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jlynns99, Mar 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jlynns99

jlynns99 Thread Starter

I got myself a new Western Digital 120 gig hard drive. Plugged it in, computer recognized it as the new master. Went about installing WIN XP, when we got to the Windows is starting screen, now the new hard drive cannot be detected. What is going on? Anybody help me?

2. KingCody

KingCody

what interface is it (IDE, SATA)?

is it the only HDD in the system?

if not, then remove any other HDDs besides the new one. start the windows install from the beginning again.

once windows is installed, you can re-connect your other HDD(s) again and you should be fine

3. jlynns99

jlynns99 Thread Starter

It is the only one plugged in. And my other computer won't recognize the new drive at all. SO, 1 computer sees it but won't install windows, the other, when I plug it in, crashes the whole thing. ???

4. bigbear

bigbear

Have you set the jumper correctly?

5. KingCody

KingCody

again... what interface is it? (IDE, SATA, SATAII)???

also, when it gets to the "windows is starting" screen, what happens? does it crash? goto a blue screen? just hang? do you get any kind of error message? and if so, what is the exact message?

6. jlynns99

jlynns99 Thread Starter

IDE. Jumper is set correctly. The preparing Windows goes along smoothly. The it gets to Hit enter to install, R to repair or exit. I have tried everything. Next screen says no hard drive detetced, setup cannot continue, press F3 to exit.

7. jlynns99

jlynns99 Thread Starter

Jumper is set to Master.

8. bigbear

bigbear

Try clearing the cmos and then go into bios and see if the drive is detected, depending on the mobo you might have enable pata controllers.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/454036

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice