1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New hard drive giving me problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by no fear, Jul 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. no fear

no fear Thread Starter

I have just installed a new hard drive and it is detected on the BIOS but...

When I go to select it in My Computer, it either stops the PC responding or asks me to format it. I go to format the drive and it tells me it could not complete. I've just run chkdisk and...

File record segmants: 4, 5, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 128, 256, 6984-6988, 9092, 9208-9217, 9224, 9232, 9233, 9344, 9364, 9480-9486 (and a hell of a lot more) are unreadable

I am running XP home. It seems to take a very long time to startup as well, a VERY long time in comparison to before.

Does anyone know what the problem could be or a way to fix it?

Thanks in advance

**Edit- Since postin this it has suddenly decided to work. If anyone has this problem, Just stick with it and restart. After a few goes it'll decide to work...it did for me!**

2. Ciberblade

Ciberblade Retired Moderator

Good to hear it is working (y)

Now, as for formatting...I would do that from a startup disk.
    FDisk it first -- remove all partitions, then create and set active your primary partition. Then format that partition....should the problem present itself again :cool:

3. no fear

no fear Thread Starter

I need to bring this up again. I have now decided to reinstall windows on the new drive but I am having problems.

I am using the Windows XP disk to set windows on the new drive. However, when I am told it has to format the partition, it refuses to move off 0%. Using the quick format option, it ends up telling me it was unable to format.

I can no longer gain access to windows on that computer either due to there being no windows installed on either of the HDs in there (One is full of music and software, the other is the new one, with nothing at all on it.)

Does anyone know what could be causing this? The new HD is IDE Primary Master, the second Hd (Music and apps) is IDE Primary Slave.

Any question's and I'll try my best to answer them.

Thank you.

4. buckfan1

buckfan1

It sounds like you have a bad hard

5. no fear

no fear Thread Starter

The thing is though that I was using it a few days ago as a 3rd HD in my PC. I could access it, look at files, move things. It all seemed normal. Since then I removed the drive that had windows installed (It was a 6gb one...the new drive is to replace it). How long does it take to format a partition? After a few hours it has suddenly decided to start...at a very slow speed. Only at 4% now...still waiting...

6. buckfan1

buckfan1

Go to the website for your harddrive and download the utilities they have to check out your drive and you will find out what is wrong and they also have formating utilities that work real fast as well.

7. no fear

no fear Thread Starter

I think I'll stick with this...it's at 9% now. Sorry, I was a bit too impatient before.

8. buckfan1

buckfan1

How big is the harddrive and are you formating with windows xp?

9. no fear

no fear Thread Starter

Its 80gb and I am using the windows XP disk (This is the first part of installing windows) 31% now

10. buckfan1

buckfan1

Should not take but a minute or two your drive is bad.

11. no fear

no fear Thread Starter

Silly question possibly...Is there any way to make it 'un-bad'? Surely there's a fix...right? (57%!!!)

12. buckfan1

buckfan1

If you just bought it take it back and get another. If it is still underwarrenty contact the place you bought it from and get a rma.

13. no fear

no fear Thread Starter

Ah...thats one reason not to buy from E-Bay then I guess. It's just odd how it wasn't working...then was...now not again. Hopefully if the pattern carries on, it'll magically work again (That's how life works...isn't it??!)

14. buckfan1

buckfan1

you get what you pay for go to the website for that company and run there utility maybe it will help

15. no fear

no fear Thread Starter

Alrighty. Cheers for all your help buckfan, you're a star.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/384884

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice