1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

new hard drive in ibm laptop a21e

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Corvus, Sep 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Corvus

Corvus Thread Starter

I have replaced my ibm laptop hard drive with a non ibm one. Its a travel star 10 gig same size as the old one. I fdisked the drive and formated it , no problem . I booted to my win 2k cd and proceded with the install , the files seem to install correctly , except after the first restart the laptop just goes to a flashing cursor . All disks were removed for the first restart.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thx in advance

2. pinntech

pinntech

Well... first of the Travel Star is an IBM drive. :)

Second, you might want to search the internet for a program called DBAN. Use it to wipe the drive completely clean.

After that, if you do not need anything special, like more than one partition and so forth, just let your win 2k CD do the rest of the work.

Something might have went wrong during the partitioning or formatting of the drive. Second possiblitly.. the drive might be bad. I think IBM has DIAG tools for their HDD's also. Check their website for a DIAG tool if the DBAN and reinstall does not work.

Hope it helps a little...

Shane

3. Corvus

Corvus Thread Starter

Thx for the reply, this hard drive came from the print controller of a digital copier/printer., its new and had 4 partitions on it . I will redo it again and see whay happens .

4. Corvus

Corvus Thread Starter

DBAN worked , thx for your help

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/275251

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice