1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New Hard drive in Thinkpad

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DebbyR, Feb 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DebbyR

DebbyR Thread Starter

I just switched the hard drive in my thinkpad laptop, thinking that the bootable recovery disc would boot up... but it didn't. The screen comes up for other settings, but I don't know what I need to do, no instructions. Anyone know where I could find some?
    Thanks.
    Debby

2. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

You probably need to go into BIOS setup and change the bootup order so it looks at the CD drive first.

3. DebbyR

DebbyR Thread Starter

thanks,
    The CD drive is not booting up. I set it to check CD first, but there also is no C: prompt. It will use the floppy. and boot from the rescue disc, but then I don't know where to go from there.

4. mobo

mobo

What system are you putting on it ? Has the drive been formatted yet ?

5. DebbyR

DebbyR Thread Starter

I got the recovery disk to work, and it gave me this message:
    Disk 1 (28615 MB 3876c 24oh 63s) appears to have partitions created using a different drive geometry (255h 63s).
    This serious problem can lead to data loss. No partition manipulations should be made to this disk using this product or the products system's products. You should back up the data on this disk, delete all partitions, create new partitions under the new drive geometry then restore your data using the back up.

??? help!

6. mobo

mobo

How did you creat the partitions on the nes drive ?

7. DebbyR

DebbyR Thread Starter

I have no idea. I did put the start up disk for Maxtor in there, to test the drive. But it didn't ask me to partition or set it up.
    Also used a start up Win98 disc. Otherwise, I have been just going through the sceen topics, looking for ways to get it enabled.

8. mobo

mobo

Restart with the 98 boot floppy and when prompted select with cdrom support . Then type fdisk . Then select to delete primary dos partition. Then go along and delete it. Then press esc and select create primary dos partition. when asked select Y for large disk support. When you are finished there press ctrl /alt / del at the same time to reboot again.

This time select " with cdrom support" again. At the A:> prompt type format c: Then Y to the prompt about erasing or loosing all data..
    Repost when complete.

9. DebbyR

DebbyR Thread Starter

Thanks,
    I did that, but the main hard drive is e: should I format e:? c: took no time at all, and I am unable to go from here. The win98 does give me the letter prompts.

10. mobo

mobo

How many hard drives do you have on this pc ?

11. DebbyR

DebbyR Thread Starter

12. mobo

mobo

That doesn't sound right debbie. Well have to go back to rebooting and type fdisk. Then select option 4 to view partitions. If there are more the one then delete them all and if there is only one then note the drive letter..

13. DebbyR

DebbyR Thread Starter

Ok.
    Current fixed disk drive C: 1
    C: 1 Status A Prim Dos 7mbytes System Fat12 Usage %
    then 2 (no letter)
    Status (blank) Type EXT DOS 28600 mbytes system (blank) Usage 100%

Total disk space is 28600 Mbtes (1Mbyte= 1048576 bytes)
    Press Esc to continue

14. mobo

mobo

delete them both please then when complete create a primary dos partition and when prompted enter "Y" to enable large disk support. Yhat should leave one Big C drive and no E.

You have to delete the extended first as well then the primary.

15. DebbyR

DebbyR Thread Starter

Thank you, did that. Format C: again.
    Now go ahead with the recovery disk, through the boot-disk?
    If I can remember how I got it to work...

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/205487

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice