1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New hard drive installation help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jenisbro, Jul 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jenisbro

jenisbro Thread Starter

I'm working on a Compaq Presario 5003US, Pentium 3 ~933MHz~128MB Ram~Cd Drive~CdRW Drive. The Harddrive went bad, so i got a new one for it. The old Harddrive was a 60 gig Maxtor, and the new one i got is a Western Digital 1600BB (160gig). I hooked up the new harddrive, put the original restoration CD in, and booted it up. It loaded the Compaq logo just fine, and went to the next screen, where it has been ever since, i've switched jumpers and all, and still nothing past that screen. the screen reads:

Starting Win 98...

Microsoft RAMdrive version 3.06 virtual disk
    Disk size: 3,072K
    Sector size: 512 bytes
    Allocation unit: 2 sectors
    Directory enteries: 64

ATAPI IDE CD-ROM device drive version V 1.23A

1 drive detect

unit 1, Master, IRQ 15, I/O Address 0x0170

Mode prepare code page function completed

Mode select code page completed

MSCDEX version 2.25

Copyright Microsoft Corp. 1986-1995 All rights reserved

Drive N: = Driver IDECD001 unit 0

(I have no idea what half of this means, i've never had this happen to me before.. i'm completely clueless.. software isn't my strongest point)

2. Mosquito555

Mosquito555

By restoration cd you mean the Win98 installation cd, right? Is the new hard disk correctly identified by BIOS?

I think that the 98 can't see the drive needed for installation...I know that older windows versions had issues with hard drives bigger than some gigabytes, I just don't remember exactly...I'll try googling around later and post back if I come across any info.

In the meanwhile check if the connections between motherboard and harddrive are ok. Also check the slave/master jumper position. You should try setting this drive exactly as what your old drive was.

If all of the above seem corectly set up, enter your BIOS and see if your new drive is identified
    by it...and if it is identified with its full capacity of course!

3. jenisbro

jenisbro Thread Starter

Everything is hooked up correctly, all jumpers in proper places, the computer wont let me into the bios because the keyboard isnt working, and i've used about 6 different keyboards, none of them are working, when i first turn the computer on, the keyboards lights up real quick but then thats it, then its about worthless

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/590808

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice