1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New hard drive installed and error message

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lisa2265, Apr 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lisa2265

lisa2265 Thread Starter

I installed my new hard drive and when I strat my computer I get the message "REBOOT ANS SELECT PROPER BOOT DEVICE OR ISERT BOOT MEDIA IN SELECTED BOOT DEVICE AND PRESS A KEY"

hELP

2. Duwady

Duwady

Which basically means your computer does not know where the operating files have been loaded.

When you say install, could you be more specific as to type of hard drive (PATA or SATA), and whether you already had another hard drive, or is this the first one?

More information helps in solving the problem.

my2cents

Duwady

3. lisa2265

lisa2265 Thread Starter

It is an ATA hard drive. It is a replacment one. My original went so I am replacing it with a seagate 250g.When I turn it on, it gives me the error message and I can't load the OS. I have tried to reset the bios defaults. Nothing.. Same error. Thanks in advance

Lisa

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

I am still unclear have you set the bios to boot to the cd drive and put the XP cd in it and tried to boot to it. setting defaults means nothing as many bios would set cd drive after hard drive in which case you would get the message you are getting.

5. bigbear

bigbear

If you have just replaced the drive then you will need to reinstall windows and all your programs.
    As already been mentioned, more info will help with a better answer

6. Duwady

Duwady

After the information you have given, I agree with Rich-M.

When you say you went to BIOS and selected "default", you may have put hard drive before CD under "boot sequence", as that is what normal default is. You have to manually make sure that CD comes before hard drive in BIOS under boot up sequence.

After changing the BIOS, put windows CD in your CD drive, restart, and watch the screen... it normally says... "Hit a key if you want to boot from cd....". Make sure you hit a key, and force it to boot from CD.

Then all you have to do, is to follow the screen...

Hope this helps.

My2cents.

Duwady

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/563673

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice