1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New hard drive installed; recovery disks not working

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by ghostrider500, Jan 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ghostrider500

ghostrider500 Thread Starter

Hello all,
    I'm having an issue with my Acer 6930 in regards to a new hard drive installed. Old hard drive went bad(Seagate Momentus 5400.5, 250 GB), replaced with a WD Scorpio Blue 320 GB. I have the recovery disks and proceeded to run them. The first time the computer was started up after HDD replacement it did not recognize the new HDD, but on second reboot, it did. I don't believe I partitioned any part of the HDD off, didn't know it was needed:confused: Answered a couple of other questions that prompted and then was asked to start the recovery disks. After the disks were loaded, the computer restarted(?) on its own Windows started to go, but then I got the message of, "Windows could not complete the installation. To install Windows on this computer, restart installation." Press ok, and the vicious cycle starts all over again. I tried to run my recovery disks again, but being a serious novice, I don't know to get the computer to read the disk drive in the state its in.
    I looked at some forums and it seems that Acer has this problem because the recovery disks di not come from the new HDD? Kind of stuck and unsure how to proceed. Very limited in "computer speak"; I believe this was the first time I touched the "f" buttons.:) Any help would be appreciated, Thanks.

2. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    You can hit F1 or F2 to go into the bios and doublecheck to make sure that the new hard drive is even being recognized. if so then hit F12 to go to the boot order and again check to see that a hd is listed.then you scroll down to make sure it will be booting from the cd/dvd drive.then you put in the first disk and then hit enter after you see press any key etc and then go from there and follow the instructions.You shouldnt have to partition anything the disks do all of the recovery/restore for you.make sure you arent trying to boot from the harddrive to do the recovery that might be why you are having a problem.Recovery/restore disks are to restore the computer back to factory settings like it was when brand new. they arent for the harddrive.

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Is that an Acer Aspire 6930 laptop?

If it is, go here, then select

Notebook - Aspire - Aspire 6930

Select the applicable Windows version.

Select the Document tab.

Download and save the user manual.

When you extract its contents, it'll appear in .pdf format.

Open it with Adobe Reader or Foxit Reader or whatever PDF reader you use.

Go to page 67 and start reading.

---------------------------------------------------------------

4. ghostrider500

Thank you for the responses. It is a Acer 6930; I'll look at the files mentioned in the previous post and get back to you; I just didn't want you to think I was ignoring you.
    I did try to get into the BIOS; it shows that the computer recognizes the new HDD, albeit the model number seems slightly different, but the serial number is correct. I can't use f12, but the root menu is a tab in the f2 menu and it shows the same model number. I'll get to reading and I'm sure come back with more questions. thanks again for this help.

5. ghostrider500

So I read the manual where needed, got the computer to reboot, fed it the recovery disks, and it went farther than before, but still no dice. This time it came up with a box that read, "Windows Set up could not configure Windows to run on the computer's hardware." I clicked on the "OK", the computer rebooted and then came up with the original error of, "Windows could not complete the installation. To install Windows on this computer, restart the installation." Back to where I was before. I really thought it was going to work this time as it showed me some screens I hadn't seen with the last reload of the recovery disks. Anybody know what my next move might be? Ideas would be greatly appreciated. Much thanks.

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Do you have an external USB hard drive or a printer or any other external devices connected to that laptop while you're trying to do the recovery?

----------------------------------------------------------

7. ghostrider500

No, I have no external devices connected. Just the power cord is plugged in.

8. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Okay. I just wanted to make sure because that can interfere with or abort a system recovery process.

Are your recovery discs scratched or dirty or damaged in any way?

---------------------------------------------------------

9. ghostrider500

All of the recovery disks are scratch free and are lint/smudge free. They were stored in a closed container in the spare bedroom, so they were not subjected to any temperature swings or extremes.

10. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I'm not there, so I don't know what else to advise you.

You might want to click the orange "Report" link and then request to be transferred to the Hardware section.

---------------------------------------------------------------

11. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    Since its a new hard drive is it possible the cd/dvd drive just isnt reading the disks right? if the disks arent scratched or dirty a bad cd drive might be the problem.

12. ghostrider500

Thank you much for the replies. I very much appreciate it. Is there a way to test my cd drive; could I try to play a music cd on it, or is that a useless endeavor? I'm guessing since nothing is loaded on the HDD there is no program loaded to play music?

13. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    I would take it somewhere and have it checked out and then you will know for sure if thats the problem or if its something else entirely.

14. nailyheppy

nailyheppy

However, I decided to try to clone the drive first, and this is the sequence of events that worked for me:

- Cloned the old hard drive using Clonezilla (the LiveCD didn't work for some reason, so I used a USB stick instead)
    - Put the image file on the new hard drive using Clonezilla
    - Windows would not load - not even a little. The main partition was not mountable, even using PuppyLinux
    - I put in the recovery discs that I received from HP, but it still said it wouldn't work with the hard drive
    - Restarted the computer, hit escape and got to a menu of options
    - Chose "recovery" from amongst the options, which included things like booting options, BIOS, etc.
    - Followed the screens, and it used the recovery partition (which -WAS- mountable, even though the other partition that was C: was not)
    - Reinstalled Vista flawlessly from the recovery partition

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1086110

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice