1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New hard drive installed sucessfully, now my computer cant find any hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Pyrosx1, Oct 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Pyrosx1

Pyrosx1 Thread Starter

I just installed a brand new Western Digital Hard Drive 160 gig. I partitioned it with FDISK, then formated, then did a clean install of windows XP. Everything was fine until after i finished the installation, and i tried to connect my old maxtor 20 gig so i could transfer some files over, and the computer stopped reading both hard drives. When i start it up, the computer can't boot from either drive. I've tried disconnecting each of the drives and only booting with one connected, with no luck. I also tried changing the gray strip, I can't remember what its official name is, but that didnt help either. When I go into BIOS and let it auto detect my drives, It wont recognize either of the drives.

2. Sponsor

3. MFDnNC

MFDnNC

Put the old drive in place of the CD or make sure the old drive is jumpered to slave.

4. LukeW

LukeW

yer it will be a jumper issue mate

5. saikee

saikee

Set both disks to "cable select". Put the oone you want to boot at the end plug.

6. Pyrosx1

Pyrosx1 Thread Starter

i pulled out the jumper, which the label said would make it a master, then put it on the end of the cable, and then ran the bios. It located the drive, but then i booted it to find the same boot failure message. do i have to install windows xp again?

7. saikee

saikee

Western Ditgital hard drives are different from the others in that it normally have 4 setting. One setting for the drive to work as alone as a single and another as a Master with a slave.

Setting it to a Master as a single unit will not work.

8. Pyrosx1

Pyrosx1 Thread Starter

Right, the jumper settings were correct to begin with, i changed the western digital from single to Master With Slave when I connected the old hard drive, and set the old one to Slave, and thats when it stopped reading either one. I unconnected the old maxtor, and set the western digital to single again, and its no longer finding a bootable program.

9. Pyrosx1

Pyrosx1 Thread Starter

I just tried playing with the jumpers, and realized i had the old hard drive set up wrong. I now have the computer locating both hard drives, but no matter which i set as master or slave, I can't get the computer to boot to windows, it only gets to the boot sequence and it searches for a Boot Record from IDE-0, then it says OK, then doesn't do anything, just sits on the same screen

UPDATE
    I downloaded the XP boot disk program from microsofts website, and when i run them, it gets through all 6 disks, then tells me this:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevernt damage to your computer. If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space, If a driver is identified in the stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing video adapters.

Check with your hardware vendow for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode, to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select advanced startup options, and then select safe mode.

Technical Information:

*** STOP: 0x0000008E (0xc0000006, 0xFCA9EA26 0xFD00A9FC, 0x00000000)

*** setupdd.sys - Address FCA9EA26 base at FCA7F000, DateStamp 3b7d8507

What does all that mean? Should I try to format the hard drive with a 98 boot disk, then try a clean install of XP all over? At this point, I'm not losing anything that can't be quickly installed again.

10. saikee

saikee

If your copy of XP is good just let the installation CD do a repair on it.

As soon as installation completes log on to MS site and do all the critical updates. XP is a liability without fully updated with MS.

11. Pyrosx1

Pyrosx1 Thread Starter

That worked, but i had to repartition it and format it again. can anyone tell me why that happened?

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/290955

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice