1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New Hard Drive Installed, Won't Boot Windows from CD

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by hmb42, Jul 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hmb42

hmb42 Thread Starter

HI everyone. My hard drive failed a bit ago, so I took it to a trusted computer shop to have the work done since I don't have the time or patience right now to work on a laptop. Anyway, I had a new HD put it, as well as a RAM upgrade. I just got it back, and was expecting to be able to just insert the windows vista installation disc that came with my computer and have it work. However, the screen just remains blank and the computer makes no attempt to boot anything from the disc. I tried turning off and on the computer with the cd in the drive, to no avail. The computer does run, it just never gets past a blank screen. I tried googling to see if there was an easy solution, but I couldn't find anything relevant. Thanks in advance for the help.

EDIT- Disc is Vista Ultimate sp1

2. Sponsor

3. BenTechMac

BenTechMac

Have you more than one graphics card in the computer:? Perhaps an old one ? and you have put the monitor cable in that?
    Also, on the journey back home, the graphics card or ram.. or something may have become unseated.?

Have a check :)

4. hmb42

hmb42 Thread Starter

My apologies, I forgot to add that its a laptop (De4ll Inspiron 1525). I suppose its still possible that the display wire got disconnected some how.

5. BenTechMac

BenTechMac

Ahhhh :)

Remove and re-insert the battery. (1 minute between actions)
    Turn it on, see what happens then?
    Do you get absolutely nothing, even at initial switch on?

6. YOGURT

YOGURT

Did you try the boot options?

Get to the boot options if you can

You should see short burst of numbers and letters that's the (BIOS) if not then bring it back

If you see what i said then (HOLD DOWN) the F12 or F8 key right at the moment you see the numbers and such ,keep holding... It should take 10-30 sec and you'll see a menu with plenty of options, look for (boot options) and change it to the drive you wish to boot from, the CD drive.

PS: i never done this before but id think that's how it done?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/934638