New hard drive installed won't read xp cd

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

bflowers

I have a Dell Dimension 4100. Everything was fine until a power outage. PC came up with black screen and hal.dll file missing or corrupt message. Also the hard drive was clicking consistently. After trying to fix the error, and suspecting a hard drive problem due to the ticking, I read that you can test whether that means hard drive problem by disconnecting data cable - it drive still ticks, it's bad. I did and it did - kept ticking. (it was as WD 160gb drive, if that's important.)

I installed a Maxtor 80 gb PATA133 drive. When I put the Maxblast4 cd in the drive, or Windows XP cd in the drive, they are ignored and I get a message that I need a Boot Disk in A. I can get into setup (that's all!), and verify that it's set to boot from CD. I even disable all other options to be sure. Drive lights up as normal, but message on the screen continues to say I need a Boot Disk in A.

Maxtor CD can make a bootable floppy, so I did that and tried it in A and that didn't work either. I don't have the XP bootable floppy set for that machine, but could make a set with another xp machine. Will that work? Is there a way to confirm that my cd drive is working? Any reasons why the bootable floppy from Maxtor wouldn't work? Is it possible the power interruption fried all my hardware? Sorry for so many questions. It's ok to just answer the ones that matter <g>.

Thank you so much for any help you can provide.

When you changed the boot sequence to cd first did you save the changes before exiting?

Are the drive jumpers set to master & any other drive on the same cable set to slave?
Is the hard drive detected in the bios?
Is the cd drive detected as the pc 'posts'?

I had a problem a few days ago where the pc always booted to the c: drive, even though I changed it to cd rom in the bios, The only way I could get it to boot from the cd drive was to hit one of the 'F' keys at startup to give me a boot menu, These boot menu keys are normally f2, f5 or f10. (you may have to try others).

bflowers

Yes, I did save, although it was already set to boot from cd first, so even if I had forgotten to save, it should have been ok.

bflowers

Yes, at first the jumpers were set to cable select - which was a new option for me as I haven't done any hard drive replacements in YEARS. Since I was having a problem, I looked up the correct jumper setting for Master and changed the jumper to that setting.

And yes, when I look at the hard drive in setup it shows as the new Maxtor. (By the way, under type - "Auto" is selected which I assume is the same as telling the bios to auto select the drive settings.

I'm not sure what your third question means, but when I turn on the pc, the CD light comes on. I don't necessarily hear the disk spinning, but it looks like the drive is being accessed.

techkid

David
What 1_rob_1 means with the third question is, during the POST after the memory test and all that, does it show the CD drive in the IDE devces list (primary/secondary master or slave)?

bflowers

I thought that might be the answer. I finally got the system to boot with the MaxBlast4 disk and the posts show cd-rom not detected. It said check power cable, which appears to be fine. or device driver not installed.

I was checking this possibility last night and downloaded the windows 6 disk bootable floppy. They don't work. When I put disk one in the drive and power up, I get Disk i/o error.

When I was downloading the file, it hung up several times and required restarting the download. When I ran it I was prompted for all six disks - wondering if the download file might have been corrupted?

Try to get a win/dos startup disk. If you have access to a pc which works, create one on that, it consists of 1 floppy.

To create one using win95/98/me
Insert a blank floppy disk into the floppy disk drive.
Click Start, point to Settings, and click Control Panel.
Double-click Add/Remove Programs.
Click the Startup Disk tab, and then click Create Disk. Click OK when prompted.

To create one using xp
Insert a blank floppy disk into the floppy disk drive.
Click Start, and then click My Computer.
Right-click the A drive icon, and then click Format.
Select "Create an MS-DOS startup disk," and then click Start.
Follow any prompts.

Boot your pc from this disk with cd rom support, watch as it boots and it will tell you whether your cd rom has been detected or not, and what drive letter has been assigned to it.
When your pc has booted, at a: type the letter assigned to the cd drive. eg. E: then press enter. If the letter changes, type dir eg. E:dir This should now display a set of files. If it does this, then your cd drive is ok.

Post back results and any messages displayed

"I finally got the system to boot with the MaxBlast4 disk and the posts show cd-rom not detected. It said check power cable, which appears to be fine. or device driver not installed."

Was this a cd or floppy

bflowers

Thanks for the quick response and the instructions for making that disk. However, not the results we hoped for! During the posts, after the memory test, it shows just these two lines:

Keyboard detected
USB Legacy enabled

Then it shifts to another black screen where it says "Starting..." Windows copyright lines, then the A: prompt. I can't change to any other drive letter (including c:).

The Maxblast disk was a floppy. When I inserted the CD into another computer, it prompted me to make a bootable floppy.

I take it that the 80 gig drive is new or unpartitioned if so, that is why your C drive is not recognised. If this is the case, boot with the startup disk, at A: type fdisk eg. a:fdisk then press enter. when the next screen is shown, continue, Choose to create a partition, create a primary dos partition, and make the partition active. reboot then type a:format c: You will then be able to see your c: drive. NOTE: this is not necessary if you are loading xp as you are, I am just explaining why c is not recognised & how to get it recognised. (In other words, just waffling.)

Are you using just 1 ide cable in your pc, if so, is your hard drive (master) at the end of the cable, and your cdrom in the middle, if not this might be worth trying.
Also if you have another cable, try with 1 drive on each.
Also try using IDE2 on the mobo (the other socket which the ide cable fits into).

bflowers

Rob,
When I use the Maxblast4 floppy to boot and let it run it's thing, I can see the C drive. Once I turn the machine off and use the MsDos startup disk it doesn't recognize it. I'm not using Windows XP yet because the pc doesn't see the cd drive.

The 80GB drive and CD drive are on separate cables, each one is at the end of it's cable. There are also extra power connectors for each drive and I wondered it I should try a second one on the Cd - but since the light does come on, I figured that wasn't it.

I was wondering if I should try the CD drive on the middle connection on its cable.

Your thoughts?

Thanks,
Belinda

Yes try it on the middle connection of its cable, if still no joy, try it as slave on the primary cable with the hard drive.

You could also try swapping ide cables.

If it still doesnt work, do you know anyone that has a cd drive you could borrow to test whether or not the prob is your cd rom or your mobo

bflowers

I might be able to get my hands on a cd-drive to try that out. Won't be able to do it today, but that's ok. I think that's a good suggestion at this point. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Thanks for all your help!
Belinda

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online