1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New Hard Drive Issues

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ravioliiiii, Nov 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ravioliiiii

ravioliiiii Thread Starter

Hey guys,

So I have a Dell Dimension XPS gen. 2 (I know it's old). I decided to purchase a new hard drive for it. I got a new SATA 1.5 TB. My old hard drive is a 75gb IDE. I upgraded to Windows 7 on my old IDE. I then installed my new hard drive, formatted it, and then installed Windows 7 on the new hard drive. For a while, when I turned my computer on, the system would ask me which Windows 7 installation I wanted to boot from. I corrected that problem by booting the one from my SATA and then going to MSCONFIG and deleting the old installation. Now my system automatically boots from the SATA.

I thought I was good to go, and so I tried reformatting the old IDE to use as extra space. The thing is, Windows won't let me. I then restarted the computer to change the BIOS settings. I wanted to change the current setting (CD, C drive, DISKETTE) to CD, R drive, DISKETTE. I don't know how to add the R drive (my new SATA) to that list. Furthermore, if I try to turn off my Master IDE from BIOS, and restart, Windows won't boot from my SATA and will either allow me to retry or go to BIOS settings where I need to turn the Master IDE on again. If I leave the Master IDE drive on, and unplug the IDE, the same thing happens. Windows won't boot anything. It's as if my new SATA is dependent on my old IDE to boot.

Some people said it might be because the SATA isn't my primary booting device. I don't know how to change my SATA to that status. Others said it could be that my old IDE is still being used as a page file source. I was also told to buy the IDE/USB dongle to connect my old hard drive as a USB device, but then wouldn't that also make my system not boot to anything when I turn it on?

I don't know what to do! If someone can help me with my predicament, I would be eternally grateful. Thank you.

2. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

You are booting from the IDE drive then transferring control to the SATA drive. This is why the IDE drive must be present.

I suggest you unplug the IDE drive then use your install CD to do a repair installation. This should cause Windows to identify the SATA drive as the primary boot device, then write the necessary master boot record and boot files to that drive. They are not there now.

Once you have done this and can make the system boot without the IDE drive present, then you can reconnect the IDE drive and reuse it. The system may again try to boot off of it, and this won't hurt you, but you will be able to stop it by wiping out the boot portion of the master boot record. Just be careful to not damage the partition table, which is also there.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1025044

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice