1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

new hard drive letter assignment

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ej, Aug 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ej

ej Thread Starter

We just installed an additional 20 gig hd in our 2139 Aptiva e5d. when rebooted, it did not come up with a drive letter, however in the system info it exists. When we went into "device manager" it had no letter assigned, and we were not able to assign one there. In F1 setup it showed both the master and slave correctly. How can we get it a drive letter? We have a cd drive on "G" a cd-rw on "H" and floppy on "A" and our master is "c". Info appreciated!

2. Sponsor

3. Wino

Wino

4. ej

ej Thread Starter

we haven't fdisk or formatted it, (we tried to use Maxor's drive setup boot disk, but it wanted to format our "C" drive cuz the new 20 gig has no letter. Yes, I think we have the Quantum 8 gig as the master, we didn't change anything on that drive, should we change jumpers there too?

5. Wino

Wino

To keep things simple (and presuming you are running WIN98FE or SE) and to prevent any chance of formatting wrong drive:

1) make a WIN98 boot disk
    2) shut down computer and disconnect the Quantum ribbon and power cables.
    3) set the new 20 GB hard drive jumper to recommended jumper setting for solo/master or C/S (cable select). Then connect to same connection (end of ribbon cable) in place of Quantum and power connector.
    4) boot with floppy start up disk and FDISK new drive as one partition. (at the prompt A:>FDISK enter, then follow instructions)
    5) after FDISK, format drive. (at the prompt A:> format C: enter)
    6) after format shut all down. Reconnect Quantan as master at end of ribbon (see web page posted earlier for jumper setting as master), set 20GB as slave on middle IDE connection.
    7) Boot machine, should have Quantum as C drive and 20GB as D drive. If drive letter for DVD-Rom changes (it shouldn't) rename back to G.

A side note - your 2139 is CS (cable select) capable - that's what I use.

You should now be good to go.

Hope this helps. Post back with results or any questions.

6. Slithy Tove

Slithy Tove Guest

Just a little low-level information for you... In the case of disk-drives a computer's BIOS (your setup area) sees and identifies a piece of hardware if it is hooked up correctly. The BIOS does not know or care what is actually on that piece of hardware. Windows does not see hardware (physical disk-drive) - it sees "logical" drives which are properly referred to as partitions. When you buy a standalone disk-drive it will rarely come with a partition defined on it - it usually comes totally blank. What you must do is use a special utility (like described above) to put a logical disk on the physical disk. This is known as partitioning. You can define multiple partitions on a physical disk and each partition will later be assigned a letter each time Windows boots up and finds the partitions (the letters only exist in Windows, they are not actually on the disk). Then, after you define the partition(s) you must establish a pattern or scheme for recording data on each partition. This is known as formatting. If you install the new disk, and then partition it, Windows can see it and will assign a letter but it still cannot read and write to it until you have formatted it. The two formatting standards in the Windows world today are FAT32 and NTFS. When you format your new disk stay with FAT32 - you can always convert to NTFS later if you have all the other required pieces AND you really have a need for NTFS (which is doubtful). This is very basic info, but I hope it clears up the big picture a little bit.

Be very careful when you use the Fdisk utility - you must make sure you are pointing at the new disk or you could wipe out your old disk !!

7. ej

ej Thread Starter

well, we unplugged our quantum 8 gig (master) and used fdisk and formatted the maxtor fireball 20 gig, reconnected the quantum the same way, and rebooted. Same condition, no drive letter assigned to the 20 gig, however it still shows in system info as being present on the C drive, but when I click on C properties it just shows the 8 gig size. I tried to reboot and F1 and check the "autodetect", they were all on for all drives, everything looked right! I don't understand the Maxtor web site jumper settings, I thinking we probably have them wrong. Can anyone give me a pic of what they should be set at? We've never changed jumpers on the quantum master, both drives are on the same cable, fireball 20 gig is on the middle connector. Could the bios be the prob? heres the system info...

Attached Files:

8. Slithy Tove

Slithy Tove Guest

There is a good chance the jumper settings are messed up. Each disk-drive has a little box (next to where the cable plugs in) with 5-6 pairs of pins. There is a little plastic-covered plug which has to bridge the correct pair of pins to indicate whether the drive is the only device on the cable, the master device, or the slave device. Different brands of disk-drives use different settings, but BOTH drives must be set properly in order for the drives to work together on the same cable. You must look at the labels on BOTH disks to see what the manufacturer specifies. I recommend you avoid and ignore the "cable-select" (CS) option - it can get you into trouble unless you really know how it works. What you need to do is make sure that your old (system) disk is set as master and the new drive is set as slave (you may or may not have to change the old drive setting - it's up to the manufacturer and you can tell from the label). If your system cannot properly tell which drive is master and which is slave it will have no way of directing "reads and writes" to the correct drive.

Finally, yes, there could be a problem with your BIOS. Eight-GB is one of the "old" BIOS barriers. That could mean that your 8GB drive will work properly, but any drive larger than that would have to use an "overlay" technique or you would have to upgrade the BIOS itself (and you may not even be able to do that).

9. Wino

Wino

Your 2139E5D will utilize HDD up to 127GB without overlay (it is LBA) and cable select works just fine on this machine. I run a 40GB and a 60GB with cable select on my 2139E5D.

I suspect your jumper settings are incorrect. If the IDE cable and power connection are well seated, then would suspect the jumpers. You said earlier that setup was set to auto-detect, so this should not be a problem. Regarding jumper settings - there are so many different pin settings (even among the same manufacturer) it is difficult to tell you which you should use.

One question - is the 40GB a brand new drive or used? If it is a new model, it requires a 40-Pin 80 wire IDE cable - if you are using the existing IBM 40-Pin 40-Wire cable, this could be contributing to your problem. If you bought this white box (oem) and no hardware came with it, you may have to buy another IDE cable.

10. Slithy Tove

Slithy Tove Guest

Cable-select will work properly on any machine if...
    - the option is set properly
    - the disk(s) are in the right place on the cable
    - the cable is constructed properly
    - the cable is plugged into the controller and devices properly

CS is an older technology developed before disk-drives had the master/slave jumper options. Pin-28 is used to designate master or slave (it is not continuous all the way through the cable). With cable-select the position on the cable determines whether a drive is master or slave. If the wrong end of the cable is plugged into the controller "CS" may not work at all. When you use specific master/slave settings, position on the cable does not matter and either end can be plugged into the controller without causing a failure.

Wino's remarks about the 80-conductor cable versus the 40-conductor cable are very important.

11. ej

ej Thread Starter

Finally gave up, took it into best buy and a kid discovered we had both drives set up a "primary" on C. !!!

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/93536