1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New Hard Drive Media Test Failure error

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dragon7380, Jan 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dragon7380

dragon7380 Thread Starter

I replaced the Hard Drive in my Gateway PC. I get the Gateway logo and I usually put in my Gateway Recovery discs here. BUT I am getting "NVIDA Boot Agent 249.0542. PXE-E61 Media Test Failure, Check Cable. PXE-MOI Exiting NVIDIA Boot Agent.

I have the Recovery Discs from Gateway and had to do a recovery last year. I have rechecked to insure the two cables are seated properly but it continues to give me this error.

Please advise if you can, thank you

2. Megabite

Megabite

Howdy,

When you say you did a recovery last year was with the HDD that died in the PC?

Could be the recovery disc just activate the Operating System on the hidden partition on the HDD that went faulty....if so you will need to contact Gateway for full discs

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Pw ON the system and enter the bios. See if your drive is detected in the bios. I think most gateways are the F1 key for the bios however read your manual.

4. dragon7380

The Recovery discs I have are from Gateway. it is a series of 3 discs. I used them when my Hard Drive crashed once before and the discs loaded perfectly. BUT this is a new hard drive, in fact it is the same series made 2 days AFTER mine was.

5. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Re-check the cables, or even replace them.

6. dragon7380

there are only two cables....one for power and one for data. I have removed them, and insured that they are seated properly a few times. I believe there is something within the Boot system or the Bios system that is not set right. This is a complete replacement Hard Drive, even though it is an almost exact duplicate to what I had it might NOT be set up correctly to work in my system. Thanks for the reply.

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You still have not answered my question. Is the drive detected in the bios?

8. dragon7380

Sorry I did not reply. I entered Bios and it does in fact recognize my hard drive and even gives the number of the Hard Drive. But when I even try to make the Hard Drive my First Boot, I get the very same error message. I still think it is in the Hard Drive someplace, as you suggest because there are only TWO cables and I have unseated and reseated them a few times to insure they are in there correctly.

I guess I will just have to invest some money and call someone to come here. It is not a good time for me right now and I am stuck back in my wheel chair for a while, But there are a couple places that will come to my home for computer repair locally.

Thanks

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, if the drive is detected correctly in the bios, download and run the drive maker's diagnostic. You download this from whomever made the drive ie WD, Seagate, etc. You are going to need the dos or boot version. This should come as an iso type file. You use a burning app like nero, cdburnerxp, imgburn, etc to make the bootable disk. The last two are free downloads.

Run the full or long test on the drive and see if it passes the test.

10. dragon7380

This might be a dumb question to YOU, but how can I run a diognostic when I can not even get the Hard Drive up and running? I am on my old XP. I will try to see what I can get but if I can not get the hard drive to even allow me to start the Gateway install discs, I can not even use the computer that the New Hard Drive is in. Maybe WD can tell me what I did wrong....who knows....thanks AGAIN.

11. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Before it even tries to start from ANY drive it will load the BIOS. If you change the BIOS to boot from a CD before a hard drive then it will be able to run the diagnostics from CD even if there was no hard drive.

12. prunejuice

prunejuice

Diagnostic software can run from a Live CD or Boot USB. It doesn't need to be installed through the operating system.

13. dragon7380

So I download and burn a Diag CD and insure that Bios is set to go to the CD FIRST...now that makes sense....okay I will try that, thank you.

I have also gone to W Digital web site and left the question for them.

My question appears to NOT be the only one like this on this site. I have seen a couple others who seem to have the exact same error message.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1085993

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice