1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

new hard drive ,, no boot from Cd to install XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by doj, Jul 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. doj

doj Thread Starter

Hi,,, Just bought this hard drive http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?wd-80jb&P=1 ,,,,, Took the old hard drive out and put my new in it place,,,, Go to install Xp Pro and all i get is a screen that says Hewlett Packard,,,, expanding possibilities ,,,F2 to enter setup,,,,, As you know F2 is bios,,,,, Got the bios settings to boot CD first ,,,,but when i turn the Pc on i dont get the option to boot from CD so i can install XP. Put the old hard drive in and i get the option to boot from CD,, All good with that but its only 10Gb,,,, Put my new one in and nothing again ,,, Whats going on ,,,,,,, The bios sees the hard drive fine,,, Set the jumpers to cable selet as thats how the old one was setup and i tried jumbers on master,,, All i get is the PC hanging on the screen Hewlett Packard ,,, expanding possibilities ,,,, F2 to enter setup, Running a Pentium 3,,,, Thanks for your time DOJ

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Does BIOS detect the correct drive? Is it set to autoselect?

3. doj

doj Thread Starter

Yes it does,, New hard drive reads Wdc wd8 00jb 00jjc0 old hard drive reads st38421A and auto detection set to auto but on the new hard drive i get information in bios
    Capacity 0mb
    Cylinder0
    Head 16
    Sector 63 ,,,, Where with old one all reads correct,,,,,, I also tried in bios option click enter on (Ide hdd auto detection press enter) and it just froze with the new hard drive,,, think its just a refesh,,,,, I clicked the ESC key on the what i think is the manfacuter logo on the boot where all the settings on boot and load are decteted and it just frezes on the part where it says detecting ide drives,,,,, I looked in the bios and found this but not sure if it means anything (Security password on boot enabled) as it boots fine with the old drive in

4. doj

doj Thread Starter

Im sure it must be somthing to do with the bois or motherboard as the drive works in a diff pc and the other 80Gb that works wont work in the Pc concerned... Does the motherboard support 80Gb? Dont know if this helps
    EVEREST Home Edition

Motherboard Properties
    Motherboard ID 04/23/1999-i440BX-SMC602-6A69KM3JC-00

Motherboard Name HP Brio BA600 / Vectra VEi8
    Motherboard Chipset Intel 82440BX/ZX
    North Bridge Intel 82443BX/ZX
    http://support.intel.com/support/chipsets/index.htm

5. doj

doj Thread Starter

Im working on a Hewlett packard motherboard and the hard drive i have taken out is a 8.4Gb Hewlett packard and it has a stiker on it that says Seagate U4. But i am trying to fit a Western Digital hard drive,,,, Could this be the problem,,, do i need another Hewlett packard hard drive ? ,, i have tried 3 working hard drives in it now and none of them work or get recognized correct,,, they are all picked up by bios but say (capacity 0 GB) apart from the one i have taken out which states the correct (capacity 8.4GB)What about trying Load default vaules for all settings in the Bios?

6. Old Rich

Old Rich

Brand of the drive will not matter . . is it a new drive or one that was in another system?

7. doj

doj Thread Starter

New i am trying to fit in,,,,, but i have tried an old one to,,, but i get the same

8. Old Rich

Old Rich

Go back into BIOS and reset to defaults . . . if it's new, you should not need to change the boot order . . it will find the first bootable device ( the CD drive) . . Are you using an original install disc?

9. The Hound

The Hound

Ahhh..the intel 440--also known as the piix4...

10. The Hound

The Hound

The latest bios flash file is here...

That board has support options for MS-DOS and Windows 3.0...Large Block Addressing may be an issue.

11. The Hound

The Hound

Number 4 is interesting here (from HP support)

"1.Ensure that the CD-ROM drive is set to boot before the hard drive.

2.Enter the system Bios (setup) by pressing F2 at the HP splash screen.

3.Go to the Boot Priority menu and check to make sure the CD-ROM is listed before the hard drive.

4.In some BIOS utilities, Hardware Protection and Device Start Protection might be located under the security tab. Verify these settings are unlocked and enabled.

Check the security tab in the bios for this...

12. Rich-M

Rich-M

I can't help but notice there is also a firmware upgrade for cd drive and I agree you need to flash the bios most likely. I am wondering if adding a controller card like a Promise card might not be the easiest way to solve the big drive issue as well.

13. doj

doj Thread Starter

14. The Hound

The Hound

Yes, it is.

15. doj

doj Thread Starter

Tried all above Don’t know what you mean by ...>>> The Hound Said "That board has support options for MS-DOS and Windows 3.0...Large Block Addressing may be an issue"
    Haven’t tried adding a controller card like a Promise card (like Rich-M) Said,,,, The drive works in diff Pc and i have tried 3 working drives in the Pc concerned but all nothing, I can install Xp on the old hard drive but it is to Small,,,, Any more ideas Please

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/590955

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice