1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New hard drive not found & unable to update BIOS

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Nosferatu501, Feb 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nosferatu501

Nosferatu501 Thread Starter

Heys guys,

Firstly sorry if this is in the wrong section, but as i have Windows Vista as my operating system i quess this will do, i should also mention that my computer is a Packard Bell iMedia 2422.

Now my problem is this, i recently bought a 'Seagate OEM 500GB Barracuda 7200.12 Internal Hard Disk Drive' that i would like to use for storing files only. But when i installed the hard drive i wasn't able to find it in my BIOS. Obviously the first thing i did was check all the connections but they all turned out to be fine.

Then i read that if your computer is of a certain age you may need to limit the hard drive from 3.0gb/s to 1.5gb/s, so i bought myself the correct size jumper and set it up to 1.5gb/s. After doing this the BIOS was still not able to find my new hard drive.

The next thing i read was that i may need to update my BIOS to the newest version, so i found out the make of my motherboard and discovered that i needed the new Reno Bios update which i promptly downloaded the file i aquired is 'Reno_bios_v18.exe'. I read that when i double click this file the 'BIOS update disk creator' should start and walk me through creating a bootable BIOS disk, unfortunately this seems to keep crashing and so i cant create the disk and update my BIOS.

So i would like to ask for any help on this matter, whether that be advice on why my new hard drive isn't showing up on my existing BIOS. Or if someone can give me a guide on how to create my own bootable BIOS disk with the 'Reno_bios_v18.exe' that i have downloaded.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks guys.

:)

2. lawson_jl

lawson_jl

You have a pretty new computer the BIOS isn't your issue with the drive. Most likely it's DOA, your cables are bad or even your mobo has issues. Swap out the new drive with your main drive and check that the BIOS to be sure the drive can be seen and there aren't any issues with it.

The program probley doesn't work correctly in Vista so try an XP PC. Manufacturers are prettty poor on updating utility programs.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/900879

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice