1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New hard drive partitions/ problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cyberdev, Jul 9, 2017.

Advertisement
  1. cyberdev

cyberdev Thread Starter

this thread evolved from a thread where I was replacing my hard drive the mods said I could start a new thread since it was about something different summay of old thread is after the main post

I ran a partition recovery with easus partition recovery on my new hard drive ( the one which I cloned my original hd) to try and recover the cloned data
    it found 3 paetitions
    system drv
    windows7_os
    Lenovo_recovery
    if I double click I can see the contents of the partition
    I then click proceed and it said it has successfully undeleted the lost partitions you may browse the recovered partition with windows explorer

The problem is I can't view the files. Also If I go into computer management it says you must initialize a disk before logical disk manager can access it if I click ok I get an error It says the operation failed to complete because the disk management console is not up to date and it shows the new hard drive as unallocated this also doing this causes the partitions to become lost again and I have to recover them again. If I don't go to computer management and view the drives via easus partition manager or minitool partition wizard it shows the 3 partitions but without drive letters and any attempt to assign a drive letter results in an error.

Short summary of the previous thread then onto my current problem
    Purchased a replacement hard drive for my Lenovo w520 laptop
    ThinkPad 500GB 7200rpm 7mm 4K Hard Drive II Part No: 0A65632

Unsucessfully tried to clone with aoemi backupper since it seemed the premium version was needed to actually clone and use the new hd.

Was told to try formatting the drive so I reformatted all the partitions made by the failed clone.

Succesfully cloned using macrium reflect installed the new hard drive and it worked for the rest of the day.
    I then got a blue screen and it wouldn't boot again. I was getting system cmos check sum bad press esc to continue or f1 to enter setup. I went back to my old hd and the old hd worked fine. which leads me to this question

2. Sponsor

3. cyberdev

cyberdev Thread Starter

just adding something to the thread If you don't have a solution to this how can I return my new hard drive back to factory settings so I can try things again

4. saikee

saikee

From my cloning experience whenever you boot a cloned Windows hdd first time the operating system will discover the new hdd's serial number no longer matching the record in the old installation and will demand an immediate reboot. Normally after the reboot the new disk, if successfully cloned, should work perfectly afterward. If you attempt to ignore this reboot the disk is put at risk.

My suggestion is to clone the new disk again with the original disk as the source. In cloning the binary pattern of the source is reproduced onto the new one therefore anything on the new disk will be overwritten so its contents does not matter.

In order for the cloning to be successful the new target disk should be exactly equal or just larger in size otherwise the operating system will object to the number of sectors in the new disk being less than that specified in the old cloned partition table.

5. cyberdev

cyberdev Thread Starter

Ok I want to try and clone it again but how to I restore the hard drive to initial settings and initialize the hard drive again ?

6. managed

managed Allan

You don't need to do anything to the destination hard drive, making the clone will overwrite whatever is on it now.
    When the cloning finishes shutdown the computer and disconnect the source drive before you try booting the cloned drive, this is vital, if you start the computer with both drives connected it will mess things up.

7. AlvinP1

AlvinP1

So you don't have the cloned hard drive anymore?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1192744