1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New Hard Drive, showing less than it is?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tsugaru, Nov 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tsugaru

Tsugaru Thread Starter

Well I've just bought a new Hard Drive, a Maxtor 160gb IDE drive. I've installed it(was my first time).

When I did everything that needed to be done(My Computer>Manager>Disk management>etc) and even before that, the drive was saying that it is a 31Gb hard drive, when it ain't. It shows up everywhere where you can see how much disk space it has and how much is left.

Have I done something thing wrong? Portioned wrong? Like I said, I'm new to it, I don't know what else to do, so this is my best resort.

Any help would be greatly accepted.
    Thanks-Matt.

2. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

Two things I know of that are possible;
    1. the drive has a jumper on the back of it that is limiting it to 31 gigs.
    2. the drive was formatted in FAT32 instead of NTFS which in Windows limits it to 32 gigs or less per partition.

If you just accepted the defaults when initializing and going into the format of the drive it should have made the partition the same size as the drive (minus formatting overhead) and in NTFS, so you didn't change any of the defaults the only thing I can think of is a jumper on the drive itself limiting it to 32 gigs or less.

3. Tsugaru

Tsugaru Thread Starter

I don't know, I'll have to check it out, even though I downloaded and installed Linux Ubuntu and it said that the drive was 160gbs. Should I still look?

4. crEA-tEch

crEA-tEch

Its more likely you havent changed the jumpers round on the hard drive... see the (usually white) plastic things that clip over the pins? That should be set to MASTER (documentation is usually printed onto the hdd.

5. Tsugaru

Tsugaru Thread Starter

At createch, I don't want it to be my main HD, I just want to use it as a spare.

6. mrss

mrss Guest

Just for info, I also bought a 160 GB Maxtor a few weeks ago. The label does not show a capacity limit jumper. My really old Maxtor drives (60 and 80 G) do have that jumper.

I also formatted the new drive as FAT32 and it shows up as 160GB on XP. Yeah, I forgot that Win98 maxes out at 128 G, so I will have to partition it if I use it on a 98 PC.

If it were me, I'd copy off any info on it and then run the Maxtor install utility again.

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

It's probable that the drive was formatted FAT32. Right-click the drive in Drive Management, remove the partition(s) so that it is all unallocated space, and then create new partitions the sizes you want. Format as NTFS and you should be fine.

Don't forget to copy anything off from the drive if you want to save any of it.

8. Tsugaru

Tsugaru Thread Starter

Thanks for the help guys, I figured it out. When I went to partion I first did a primary which made it show up only as 31gbs and then the other 117gbs or so was left, so I did a Extended and it showed up as 160gbs. Thanks for the help guys!

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/646914

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice