1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New Hard Drive, Trying to Boot Ubuntu on Netbook

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by barryzito777, Dec 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. barryzito777

barryzito777 Thread Starter

Hi,

I have a Toshiba NB205-N310\BN netbook. The hard drive died and thanks to some help from some other members of this forum I was able to acquire a new hard drive and install it. However, now I am running into problems trying to install Ubuntu Netbook Remix on it. I followed all the steps for installing it via usb drive and it seems to install correctly. However the problems arise when the computer says installation is successful and to restart the computer. I do so and I can never get it to load back into anything. All I see is a screen saying this Help please

2. jrbuergel

jrbuergel

First Name:
    Jim
    Did you remember to unplug your USB Ubuntu install flash drive which you should do just when it re-boots. Are you sure that the Ubuntu install did initialize your new hard drive and create partitions and format the file system ? I sugest to look for some help at the Ubuntu forum here; http://ubuntuforums.org/index.php Also are your BIOS settings all good, maybe check those.

3. prunejuice

prunejuice

Which version of Ubuntu did you install?

4. barryzito777

jrbuergel: I did pull the flash drive at the reboot time and I believe it initialized and partitioned my harddrive though I set it to take the whole 500 gig HD since i had nothing else that i wanted to leave space for. I am also asking the same questions in the ubuntu forum but i like to try here because this site's users are generally more helpful. What BIOS settings would I be checking to see if they're "good"?

prunejuice: It was the netbook remix version

P.S. sorry for the late response, i've been without internet for the past week while on vacation

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    prunejuice may have been asking for the release number--10.10, 10.04, etc.

The last decision you have to make on a Ubuntu install is where to put the boot stuff. That's sometimes a bit of a guess and cross-my-fingers for me. You may have accidentally put it on the USB drive instead of the hard drive. Try booting with the USB connected; if you boot to the hard drive that way then you know for sure that's what happened.

6. barryzito777

terry i think that might have been my problem. though I'm not really sure. I had backtracked a bit and after failing to get Ubuntu to work I installed a fresh windows 7 which ran perfectly (though I have no extra CD key for it so it's only temporary) then i tried the Ubuntu installation again (i got it from here) and I was able to choose to boot to Ubuntu when it restarts and now I can get in. Before I would never get to the black screen where it asks you to pick what OS to boot to. So I think you were right about my problem?

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Very likely that, or something similar, was the problem. Anyhow, you've now got it working, right? That's good. :)

8. barryzito777

yup haha. Now do you know of an easy way of getting rid of that copy of windows without undoing my ubuntu installation by any chance? if not i'll just leave it there.

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If the Master Boot Record is not in the Windows partition you can simply delete the partition. Otherwise it gets more complicated. No guarantee I'll be able to help much, but probably the next data to show us is the output from the following command that you run in a Terminal window:

sudo fdisk -l

The last character of that command is a lower case L.

10. barryzito777

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I'm pretty sure--not positive--that means your MBR is in the little sda1 partition, and you are free to delete or reuse the sda2 Windows partition.

12. barryzito777

alrighty, uhh possibly dumb question here but how do i do that haha

13. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If you only want to use the space for other data you could just delete the Windows folders/files. If you want to delete the partition or break it into smaller partitions or something you need a partition manager.

One partition manager is GParted. I've used it standalone, and I understand that you can install it in Ubuntu.

Note that your Linux installation is in a logical (extended) partition, so if your aim is to add the sda2 space to sda6 I do not know how to accomplish that.

14. barryzito777

thanks I'll check that out

15. saikee

saikee

It looks like a faulty installation to me in the Post #1.

Cure :

Boot up the Ubuntu as a Live CD

Click a terminal and issue the following commands
    Code:
    sudo su
    mkdir /mnt/sda6
    mount /dev/sda6 /mnt/sda6
    grub-install --root-directory=/mnt/sda6   /dev/sda
    reboot
    Basically you use the Live CD to reconnect Grub2 between your installed Ubuntu in sda6 with the MBR of hard disk sda.

If you have a problem of booting the MS Windows let us know. It can be easily fixed.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/971730

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice